Dr. Sergiy Kushchayev is an Assistant Member in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology.Dr. Sergiy Kushchayev earned his MD at Bogomolets National Medical University and his PhD at State Institute of Neurosurgery, Kiev, Ukraine. He was a Spetzler Research Fellow at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona. He completed a Radiology Residency at Mercy Catholic Medical Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he also served as Chief Resident. Dr. Kushchayev recently completed a Neuroradiology Fellowship at John Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Kushchayev’s clinical and research interests are in spinal metastases, spinal augmentation techniques, thyroid carcinoma, neuroendocrine tumors, and neurological complications of checkpoint inhibitors. In addition, his basic science research interest is in the role of macrophages in the progression of brain tumors and spinal metastases and individualized treatment of spinal metastases.
Education & Training
- Barrow Neurological Institute -
- John Hopkins Hospital Neuradiology -
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center -
- Bogomolets National Medical University - MD
- Kushchayeva Y, Kushchayev S, Jensen K, Brown RJ. Impaired Glucose Metabolism, Anti-Diabetes Medications, and Risk of Thyroid Cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2022 Jan.14(3). Pubmedid: 35158824. Pmcid: PMC8833385.
- Kushchayeva Y, Pestun I, Kushchayev S, Radzikhovska N, Lewiecki EM. Advancement in the Treatment of Osteoporosis and the Effects on Bone Healing. J Clin Med. 2022 Dec.11(24). Pubmedid: 36556093. Pmcid: PMC9781093.
- Mills MN, Naz A, Thawani C, Walker C, Figura NB, Kushchayev S, Oliver DE, Etame AB, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Liu JKC, Vogelbaum MA, Forsyth PA, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman HH, Han HS, Ahmed KA. Capecitabine and stereotactic radiation in the management of breast cancer brain metastases. BMC Cancer. 2021 May.21(1):552. Pubmedid: 33992087. Pmcid: PMC8126143.
- Mills MN, Walker C, Thawani C, Naz A, Figura NB, Kushchayev S, Etame A, Yu HM, Robinson TJ, Liu J, Vogelbaum MA, Forsyth PA, Czerniecki BJ, Soliman HH, Han HS, Ahmed KA. Trastuzumab Emtansine (T-DM1) and stereotactic radiation in the management of HER2+ breast cancer brain metastases. BMC Cancer. 2021 Mar.21(1):223. Pubmedid: 33663447. Pmcid: PMC7934378.
- Kushchayeva YS, Startzell M, Cochran E, Auh S, Sekizkardes H, Soldin SJ, Kushchayev SV, Dieckmann W, Skarulis M, Abdul Sater Z, Brychta RJ, Cypess AM, Lin TC, Lightbourne M, Millo C, Brown RJ. Thyroid Hormone Effects on Glucose Disposal in Patients With Insulin Receptor Mutations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Mar.105(3):e158-e171. Pubmedid: 31588494. Pmcid: PMC7093053.
- Khan M, Kushchayev SV. Percutaneous Vertebral Body Augmentations: The State of Art. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2019 Nov.29(4):495-513. Pubmedid: 31677726.
- Kushchayev SV, Wiener PC, Teytelboym OM, Arrington JA, Khan M, Preul MC. Percutaneous Vertebroplasty: A History of Procedure, Technology, Culture, Specialty, and Economics. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2019 Nov.29(4):481-494. Pubmedid: 31677725.
- Kushchayeva YS, Kushchayev SV, Startzell M, Cochran E, Auh S, Dai Y, Lightbourne M, Skarulis M, Brown RJ. Thyroid Abnormalities in Patients With Extreme Insulin Resistance Syndromes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Jun.104(6):2216-2228. Pubmedid: 30657911. Pmcid: PMC6482021.
- Kushchayev SV, Kushchayeva YS, Tella SH, Glushko T, Pacak K, Teytelboym OM. Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma: An Update on Imaging. J Thyroid Res. 2019 Jul.2019:1893047. Pubmedid: 31360432. Pmcid: PMC6642782.
- Kushchayeva YS, Tella SH, Kushchayev SV, Van Nostrand D, Kulkarni K. Comparison of hyperparathyroidism types and utility of dual radiopharmaceutical acquisition with Tc99m sestamibi and I for localization of rapid washout parathyroid adenomas. Osteoporos Int. 2019 Jan. Pubmedid: 30706095.
- Glushko T, Kushchayev SV, Trifanov D, Salei A, Morales D, Berry G, Mackey J, Teytelboym OM. Focal Hepatic Glycogenosis in a Patient With Uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus Type 1. J Comput Assist Tomo. 2018 Mar.42(2):230-235. Pubmedid: 28937487.
- Kushchayeva YS, Kushchayev SV, Glushko TY, Tella SH, Teytelboym OM, Collins MT, Boyce AM. Fibrous dysplasia for radiologists: beyond ground glass bone matrix. Insights Imaging. 2018 Dec.9(6):1035-1056. Pubmedid: 30484079. Pmcid: PMC6269335.
- Kushchayev SV, Glushko T, Jarraya M, Schuleri KH, Preul MC, Brooks ML, Teytelboym OM. ABCs of the degenerative spine. Insights Imaging. 2018 Apr.9(2):253-274. Pubmedid: 29569215. Pmcid: PMC5893484.
- Kushchayev SV, Giers MB, Hom Eng D, Martirosyan NL, Eschbacher JM, Mortazavi MM, Theodore N, Panitch A, Preul MC. Hyaluronic acid scaffold has a neuroprotective effect in hemisection spinal cord injury. J Neurosurg Spine. 2016 Jul.25(1):114-124. Pubmedid: 26943251.
- Kushchayev SV, Belykh E, Fishchenko Y, Salei A, Teytelboym OM, Shabaturov L, Cruse M, Preul MC. Two bullets to the head and an early winter: fate permits Kutuzov to defeat Napoleon at Moscow. Neurosurg Focus. 2015 Jul.39(1):E3. Pubmedid: 26126402.
- Kushchayeva YS, Kushchayev SV, Carroll NM, Felger EA, Links TP, Teytelboym OM, Bonichon F, Preul MC, Sonntag VK, Van Nostrand D, Burman KD, Boyle LM. Spinal metastases due to thyroid carcinoma: an analysis of 202 patients. Thyroid. 2014 Oct.24(10):1488-1500. Pubmedid: 24921429.
- Kushchayeva YS, Kushchayev SV, Wexler JA, Carroll NM, Preul MC, Teytelboym OM, Sonntag VK, Van Nostrand D, Burman KD, Boyle LM. Current treatment modalities for spinal metastases secondary to thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid. 2014 Oct.24(10):1443-1455. Pubmedid: 24827757.
- Kushchayev SV, Kushchayeva YS, Wiener PC, Scheck AC, Badie B, Preul MC. Monocyte-derived cells of the brain and malignant gliomas: the double face of Janus. World Neurosurg. 2014 Dec.82(6):1171-1186. Pubmedid: 23178919.
- Kushchayev SV, Sankar T, Eggink LL, Kushchayeva YS, Wiener PC, Hoober JK, Eschbacher J, Liu R, Shi FD, Abdelwahab MG, Scheck AC, Preul MC. Monocyte galactose/N-acetylgalactosamine-specific C-type lectin receptor stimulant immunotherapy of an experimental glioma. Part II: combination with external radiation improves survival. Cancer Manag Res. 2012 Oct.4:325-334. Pubmedid: 23049281. Pmcid: PMC3459592.
- Kushchayev SV, Sankar T, Eggink LL, Kushchayeva YS, Wiener PC, Hoober JK, Eschbacher J, Liu R, Shi FD, Abdelwahab MG, Scheck AC, Preul MC. Monocyte galactose/N-acetylgalactosamine-specific C-type lectin receptor stimulant immunotherapy of an experimental glioma. Part 1: stimulatory effects on blood monocytes and monocyte-derived cells of the brain. Cancer Manag Res. 2012 Oct.4:309-323. Pubmedid: 23049280. Pmcid: PMC3459590.
- Kushchayev SV, Moskalenko VF, Wiener PC, Tsymbaliuk VI, Cherkasov VG, Dzyavulska IV, Kovalchuk OI, Sonntag VK, Spetzler RF, Preul MC. The discovery of the pyramidal neurons: Vladimir Betz and a new era of neuroscience. Brain. 2012 Jan.135(Pt 1):285-300. Pubmedid: 22075067.
- Pedachenko EG, Kushchayev SV. [Percutaneous lumbar endoscopic diskectomy in discogenic lumbosacral radiculitis]. Zh Vopr Neirokhir Im N N Burdenko. 2004 Oct.(4):24-27. Pubmedid: 15724548.
- Pedachenko EG, Kushchayev SV, Rogozhin VA, Ternitskaia IuP, Garmish AR. [Puncture vertebroplasty in aggressive hemangiomas of the vertebrae bodies]. Zh Vopr Neirokhir Im N N Burdenko. 2004 Jan.(1):16-20. Pubmedid: 15055007.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction0
0 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.