Traveling for Cancer Treatment
Moffitt Cancer Center consistently ranks among the nation’s top hospitals for cancer treatment, and we’re pleased to welcome patients from across the U.S. and many parts of the world. Many of them choose us because:
- We offer faster answers and consistently achieve better outcomes because each patient's cancer diagnosis is our highest priority.
- We’re one of only 53 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the U.S., and the only one based in Florida.
- We combine innovative research and extensive clinical trial options with compassionate, personalized care that leads to exceptional outcomes.
- We have a well-established Patient and Family Advisory Program that recognizes the vital role of the patient’s family as part of their health care team.
Getting ready for cancer treatment away from home
At Moffitt, we know that facing a cancer diagnosis can be frightening and overwhelming, and you don't need life's mundane obstacles to get in your way. If you're seeking treatment at Moffitt from out of state, we want to help you and your family prepare for your stay near us. Our team of specially trained and licensed clinical social workers can provide valuable guidance and connect you with resources to help you cope with challenges like:
The cost of traveling for cancer treatment
Transportation expenses are among the obvious costs of traveling out of state for cancer treatment, so it's important to plan ahead to fit these expenses into your budget. Some of these expenses include:
- Airline, bus or train fares
- Rental car, taxi or ride-sourcing costs
- Fuel, parking and toll costs if you drive your own vehicle
Moffitt also recognizes the extra challenges faced by our patients from other countries. Our International Referral Services Department offers an array of services that can help you plan for your treatment at our Tampa cancer center if you're traveling from abroad.
Finding a place to stay
If you're fighting cancer, it's important to have both your medical and nonmedical support teams with you all the way. Moffitt makes this easier by partnering with nearby hotels that offer competitive rates and shuttle services to and from our cancer center. When you book your stay, make sure to mention that you’re getting treatment at Moffitt. Another option for some patients and their families or caregivers is the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge, located a half-mile from Moffitt, which offers free accommodations to those who meet certain qualifications, including living at least 40 miles away. There are also local RV parks in the area that may provide an affordable option for you. For more information about lodging near our cancer center, call 813-745-4589.
Covering your medical costs
At Moffitt, we're here to help our patients, including those from out of state, navigate the health insurance marketplace and choose the best options to help them cover the costs of world-class treatment at our facility. We accept many health insurance plans, and our patients can also get assistance with budgeting and resources from our Financial Clearance Unit Navigator.
When you seek care at Moffitt, you are a top priority of a cancer center that delivers nationally-ranked care in new and transformative ways. Call 1-888-663-3488 or fill out our new patient registration form, and you’ll be connected with a cancer expert as soon as possible.