Pesto Pasta with Shrimp Recipe
Spring brings so many delicious and nutritious vegetables. Try this protein-packed recipe and throw in any of your favorite spring produce. Try adding some of the following vegetables that are in season this spring: artichokes, carrots, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, onions, peas, spinach. You can also try chicken or sausage in place of shrimp!
Total time: 50 minutes
- 6 tbsp Pesto
- 8 oz Whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound of fresh asparagus, cut into 2” pieces
- ½ cup multicolored grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Ground pepper and salt to taste
- Boil water, prepare pasta according to package instructions, add asparagus during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving ¾ cup of cooking liquid
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, add to pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to the pan, cook for 1 minute. Stir in pesto, shrimp, grape tomatoes, and salt to taste. Divide among 4 bowls.
Nutritional information per serving: 409 calories, 15.5 g fat. Fiber 9g, protein 27g, carbohydrates 50g
Information cited from CookingLight.com