Sara M. Tinsley is an advanced practice registered nurse specializing in providing care to patients diagnosed with hematologic malignancies in the Moffitt Cancer Center Department of Malignant Hematology. Nurse Tinsley has been practicing as a hematology nurse practitioner at Moffitt for 30 years, 11 years in Blood and Marrow Transplant, 2 years in patient triage and the past 17 years in Malignant Hematology. She is a member of the leukemia research team and specializes in the care of patients with acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, aplastic anemia, and other bone marrow failure syndromes. Dr. Tinsley earned her PhD, master’s degree, and bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida. She is board certified as an advance oncology certified nurse by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation. She is licensed in the state of Florida as an advance practice registered nurse. Sara is a co-investigator on multiple clinical trials within the department of Malignant Hematology. She is also working on her research interest of the evaluation and improvement of quality of life in older patients diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia and high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes. She received an American Cancer Society Doctoral Degree in nursing scholarship and is working on a decision-making model focused on quality of life with different treatment intensities, sponsored by the National Institute of Health.Sara works as a courtesy clinical instructor in the College of Nursing at the University of South Florida, and regularly lectures in the oncology program. She also is a member of the nurse executive leadership board of the Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation, and leads patient and family educational meetings.
- Tinsley-Vance SM, Ali NA, Ball S, Aguirre LE, Jain AG, Hussaini MO, Chan O, Kuykendall A, Sweet K, Lancet J, Padron E, Sallman DA, Komrokji RS. Sex Disparities in Myelodysplastic Syndromes: Genotype, Phenotype, and Outcomes. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2023 May.23(5):355-359. Pubmedid: 36813626. Pmcid: PMC10121764.
- Tinsley-Vance SM. Research Strategy for the Development of a Quality-of-Life Decision-Making Model for Older Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2023 May.14(4):272-283. Pubmedid: 37313279. Pmcid: PMC10258859.
- Aguirre LE, Al Ali N, Sallman DA, Ball S, Jain AG, Chan O, Tinsley-Vance SM, Kuykendall A, Sweet K, Lancet JE, Padron E, Komrokji RS. Assessment and validation of the molecular international prognostic scoring system for myelodysplastic syndromes. Leukemia. 2023 Jul.37(7):1530-1539. Pubmedid: 37147425.
- Ball S, Aguirre LE, Jain AG, Ali NA, Tinsley SM, Chan O, Kuykendall AT, Sweet K, Lancet JE, Sallman DA, Hussaini MO, Padron E, Komrokji RS. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of EZH2-mutant myelodysplastic syndrome: A large single institution analysis of 1774 patients. Leuk Res. 2023 Jan.124:106999. Pubmedid: 36542963.
- Tinsley-Vance SM, Davis M, Ajayi O. Role of Luspatercept in the Management of Lower-Risk Myelodysplastic Syndromes. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2023 Jan.14(1):82-87. Pubmedid: 36741213. Pmcid: PMC9894202.
- Tinsley-Vance SM, Durosier Mertilus DS, Nodzon L, Lengacher CA. An Integrative Review of Sex Differences in Quality of Life and Symptoms Among Survivors of Hematologic Malignancies. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2023 Apr.50(3):299-312. Pubmedid: 37155973.
- Park JY, Lengacher CA, Reich RR, Park HY, Whiting J, Nguyen AT, Rodríguez C, Meng H, Tinsley S, Chauca K, Gordillo-Casero L, Wittenberg T, Joshi A, Lin K, Ismail-Khan R, Kiluk JV, Kip KE. Translational Genomic Research: The Association between Genetic Profiles and Cognitive Functioning or Cardiac Function Among Breast Cancer Survivors Completing Chemotherapy. Biol Res Nurs. 2022 Oct.24(4):433-447. Pubmedid: 35499926. Pmcid: PMC9630728.
- Nodzon L, Fadol A, Tinsley S. Cardiovascular Adverse Events and Mitigation Strategies for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Patients Receiving Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2022 Mar.13(2):127-142. Pubmedid: 35369400. Pmcid: PMC8955565.
- Lengacher CA, Gruss LF, Kip KE, Reich RR, Chauca KG, Moscoso MS, Joshi A, Tinsley S, Shani B, Cousin L, Khan CP, Goodman M, Park JY. Mindfulness-based stress reduction for breast cancer survivors (MBSR(BC)): evaluating mediators of psychological and physical outcomes in a large randomized controlled trial. J Behav Med. 2021 Oct.44(5):591-604. Pubmedid: 33963420.
- Komrokji RS, Wei S, Mailloux AW, Zhang L, Padron E, Sallman D, Lancet JE, Tinsley S, Nardelli LA, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Epling-Burnette PK, List AF. A Phase II Study to Determine the Safety and Efficacy of the Oral Inhibitor of Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase (IDO) Enzyme INCB024360 in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2019 Mar.19(3):157-161. Pubmedid: 30713125.
- Bamberger ET, Eden AR, Marinelli KA, Gonzalez PA, Tinsley S, Dodgson JE. Growth and Change in the Journal of Human Lactation: A Content Analysis 1985-2018. J Hum Lact. 2019 Aug.35(4):759-773. Pubmedid: 31465695.
- Komrokji RS, Al Ali NH, Padron E, Cogle C, Tinsley S, Sallman D, Lancet JE, List AF. Lenalidomide and Prednisone in Low and Intermediate-1 IPSS Risk, Non-Del(5q) Patients With Myelodysplastic Syndromes: Phase 2 Clinical Trial. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2019 Apr.19(4):251-254. Pubmedid: 30852241.
- Kurtin SE, Ridgeway JA, Tinsley S. Practical Strategies for Management of Lenalidomide-Associated Cytopenias in Myelodysplastic Syndromes With del(5q). J Adv Pract Oncol. 2018 Oct.8(7):721-728. Pubmedid: 30333934. Pmcid: PMC6188096.
- Tinsley SM, Grande C, Olson K, Plato L, Jacobs I. Potential of Biosimilars to Increase Access to Biologics: Considerations for Advanced Practice Providers in Oncology. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2018 Nov.9(7):699-713.
- Tinsley SM, Grande C, Olson K, Plato L, Jacobs I. Potential of Biosimilars to Increase Access to Biologics: Considerations for Advanced Practice Providers in Oncology. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2018 Nov.9(7):699-716. Pubmedid: 31249718. Pmcid: PMC6570521.
- Tinsley SM, Hoehner-Cooper CM. Transitioning Patients With Iron Overload From Exjade to Jadenu. J Infus Nurs. 2018 May.41(3):171-175. Pubmedid: 29659464.
- Ridgeway JA, Tinsley S, Kurtin SE. Practical Guide to Bone Marrow Sampling for Suspected Myelodysplastic Syndromes. J Adv Pract Oncol. 2018 Jun.8(1):29-39. Pubmedid: 29900015. Pmcid: PMC5995536.
- Tinsley SM, Sutton SK, Thapa R, Lancet J, McMillan SC. Treatment Choices: A Quality of Life Comparison in Acute Myeloid Leukemia and High-risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017 Jul.17S:S75-S79. Pubmedid: 28760305. Pmcid: PMC7771348.
- Abel GA, Efficace F, Buckstein RJ, Tinsley S, Jurcic JG, Martins Y, Steensma DP, Watts CD, Raza A, Lee SJ, List AF, Klaassen RJ. Prospective international validation of the Quality of Life in Myelodysplasia Scale (QUALMS). Haematologica. 2016 Jun.101(6):781-788. Pubmedid: 26944474. Pmcid: PMC5013948.
- Padron E, Dezern A, Andrade-Campos M, Vaddi K, Scherle P, Zhang Q, Ma Y, Balasis ME, Tinsley S, Ramadan H, Zimmerman C, Steensma DP, Roboz GJ, Lancet JE, List AF, Sekeres MA, Komrokji RS. A Multi-Institution Phase I Trial of Ruxolitinib in Patients with Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia (CMML). Clin Cancer Res. 2016 Aug.22(15):3746-3754. Pubmedid: 26858309. Pmcid: PMC5278764.
- Tinsley SM, Kurtin SE, Ridgeway JA. Practical Management of Lenalidomide-Related Rash. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2015 Jun.15 Suppl:S64-S69. Pubmedid: 26297281.
- Sweet K, Al Ali NH, Dalia SM, Komrokji RS, Crescentini RM, Tinsley S, Lancet JE, Papenhausen PR, Zhang L, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Increased genomic instability may contribute to the development of kinase domain mutations in chronic myeloid leukemia. Int J Hematol. 2014 Dec.100(6):567-574. Pubmedid: 25281405.
- Komrokji RS, Padron E, Yu D, Fulp WJ, Rodriguez Y, Tinsley S, List AF, Lancet JE. Phase II clinical study of erlotinib for treatment of myelodysplastic syndromes. Am J Hematol. 2014 Aug.89(8):809-812. Pubmedid: 24764152. Pmcid: PMC4561860.
- Phillips KM, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Sotomayor E, Lee MR, Jim HS, Small BJ, Sokol L, Lancet J, Tinsley S, Sweet K, Komrokji R, Jacobsen PB. Quality of life outcomes in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitors: a controlled comparison. Support Care Cancer. 2013 Apr.21(4):1097-1103. Pubmedid: 23179489.
- Shah J, Kurtin SE, Arnold L, Lindroos-Kolqvist P, Tinsley S. Management of transfusion-related iron overload in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2012 Jun.16 Suppl:37-46. Pubmedid: 22641283.
- Tinsley SM. Safety profiles of second-line tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia. J Clin Nurs. 2010 May.19(9-10):1207-1218. Pubmedid: 20345830.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction0
0 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.