Kedar Kirtane, MD
Kedar Kirtane, MD
Specialty: Medical Oncology
Program: Head and Neck Oncology
Dr. Kirtane is an Assistant Member in the Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine Oncology and Medical Director for Solid Tumor Cellular Therapy. Dr. Kirtane received his MD degree from The University of Florida College of Medicine. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Kirtane completed a Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at the University of Washington and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Oncology at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. His clinical focus is patients with head and neck-endocrine cancers. He works on the development of innovative cellular therapies for solid tumor cancers and is focused on increasing representation of underrepresented groups to clinical trials.
Education & Training
- University of Washington - Hematology/Oncology
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Oncology
- Duke University - Internal Medicine
- University of Florida - MD
Clinical Trial 20132
Phase 1/2 Dose-Escalation and Expansion Study of FLX475 Alone and in Combination with Pembrolizumab in Advanced Cancer
Intervention: FLX475 (); Pembrolizumab (Keytruda)
Clinical Trial 20274
A Phase II/III Randomized Study of Maintenance Nivolumab versus Observation in Patients with Locally Advanced, Intermediate Risk HPV Positive OPCA
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: BMS-936558 (Nivolumab); Nivolumab (Opdivo); Radiotherapy (); cisplatin ()
Clinical Trial 20285
A Multicenter Phase I/II Trial of a Novel MDM2 Inhibitor (APG-115) in P53 Wild-Type Salivary Gland Carcinoma
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: APG-115 ()
Clinical Trial 21131
A Phase II Randomized Trial of Adjuvant Therapy with Pembrolizumab After Resection of Recurrent/Second Primary Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma with High Risk Features
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: Paraplatin (carboplatin); Pembrolizumab (Keytruda); Radiotherapy (); carboplatin (); cisplatin ()
Clinical Trial 21282
The BURAN Study of Buparlisib (AN2025) In Combination with Paclitaxel Compared to Paclitaxel Alone, in Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: BKM120 (Buparlisib); Buparlisib (); Taxol (paclitaxel); paclitaxel ()
Clinical Trial 21589
BASECAMP-1: An Observational Study Obtaining Solid Tumor Tissue from Subjects with Primary Surgical Resection and Leukapheresis for CAR T-Cell Therapy Manufacturing
- Oswald LB, Gudenkauf LM, Li X, De Avila G, Peres LC, Kirtane K, Gonzalez BD, Hoogland AI, Nguyen O, Rodriguez Y, Baz RC, Shain KH, Alsina M, Locke FL, Freeman C, Castaneda Puglianini O, Nishihori T, Liu H, Blue B, Grajales-Cruz A, Jim HSL, Hansen DK. Patient-Reported Outcomes among Multiple Myeloma Patients Treated with Standard of Care Idecabtagene Vicleucel. Cancers (Basel). 2023 Sep.15(19). Pubmedid: 37835405. Pmcid: PMC10571575.
- Echevarria MI, Yang GQ, Chen DT, Kirtane K, Russell J, Kish J, Muzaffar J, Otto K, Padhya T, McMullen C, Patel K, Chung CH, Caudell JJ. Phase 1 Dose Escalation of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy and Concurrent Cisplatin for Reirradiation of Unresectable, Recurrent Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2023 Oct.117(2):341-347. Pubmedid: 37105404.
- Gharzai LA, Mierzwa ML, Peipert JD, Kirtane K, Casper K, Yadav P, Rothrock N, Cella D, Shaunfield S. Monitoring Adverse Effects of Radiation Therapy in Patients With Head and Neck Cancer: The FACT-HN-RAD Patient-Reported Outcome Measure. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2023 Oct.149(10):884-890. Pubmedid: 37589994. Pmcid: PMC10436187.
- Turner K, Stover AM, Tometich DB, Geiss C, Mason A, Nguyen OT, Hume E, McCormick R, Powell S, Hallanger-Johnson J, Patel KB, Kirtane KS, Jammigumpula N, Moore C, Perkins R, Rollison DE, Jim HSL, Oswald LB, Crowder S, Gonzalez BD, Robinson E, Tabriz AA, Islam JY, Gilbert SM. Oncology Providers' and Professionals' Experiences With Suicide Risk Screening Among Patients With Head and Neck Cancer: A Qualitative Study. JCO Oncol Pract. 2023 Jun.19(6):e892-e903. Pubmedid: 36395441. Pmcid: PMC10337750.
- Kirtane K, Zhao Y, Amorrortu RP, Fuzzell LN, Vadaparampil ST, Rollison DE. Demographic disparities in receipt of care at a comprehensive cancer center. Cancer Med. 2023 Jun.12(12):13687-13700. Pubmedid: 37114585. Pmcid: PMC10315757.
- Kirtane K, Hoogland AI, Li X, Rodriguez Y, Scheel K, Small BJ, Oswald LB, Muzaffar J, Kish JA, Bonomi M, Bhateja P, Saba NF, Steuer CE, Chung CH, Jim HSL. Patient-reported outcomes in immunotherapy for head and neck cancer. Head Neck. 2023 Jul.45(7):1761-1771. Pubmedid: 37141438.
- Kirtane K, Reblin M, Oswald LB, Irizarry-Arroyo N, McCormick R, Locke FL, Ketcher D. Psychosocial characteristics of patients undergoing cellular immunotherapies and their caregivers across time. Leuk Lymphoma. 2023 Feb.64(2):364-370. Pubmedid: 36416677.
- Yilmaz E, Ismaila N, Bauman JE, Dabney R, Gan G, Jordan R, Kaufman M, Kirtane K, McBride SM, Old MO, Rooper L, Saba NF, Sheth S, Subramaniam RM, Wise-Draper TM, Wong D, Mell LK. Immunotherapy and Biomarker Testing in Recurrent and Metastatic Head and Neck Cancers: ASCO Guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2023 Feb.41(5):1132-1146. Pubmedid: 36521102.
- Saba NF, Steuer CE, Ekpenyong A, McCook-Veal A, Magliocca K, Patel M, Schmitt NC, Stokes W, Bates JE, Rudra S, Remick J, McDonald M, Abousaud M, Tan AC, Fadlullah MZH, Chaudhary R, Muzaffar J, Kirtane K, Liu Y, Chen GZ, Shin DM, Teng Y, Chung CH. Pembrolizumab and cabozantinib in recurrent metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a phase 2 trial. Nat Med. 2023 Apr.29(4):880-887. Pubmedid: 37012550. Pmcid: PMC10205145.
- Oswald LB, Arredondo B, Geiss C, Vigoureux TFD, Hoogland AI, Chung CH, Muzaffar J, Patel KB, Gonzalez BD, Jim HSL, Kirtane K. Considerations for developing supportive care interventions for survivors of head and neck cancer: A qualitative study. Psychooncology. 2022 Sep.31(9):1519-1526. Pubmedid: 35726386. Pmcid: PMC9452460.
- Kirtane KS, Jim HS, Gonzalez BD, Oswald LB. Promise of Patient-Reported Outcomes, Biometric Data, and Remote Monitoring for Adoptive Cellular Therapy. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2022 May.6:e2200013. Pubmedid: 35561286.
- Kirtane K, Geiss C, Arredondo B, Hoogland AI, Chung CH, Muzaffar J, Patel KB, Gonzalez BD, Jim HSL, Oswald LB. "I have cancer during COVID; that's a special category": a qualitative study of head and neck cancer patient and provider experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. Support Care Cancer. 2022 May.30(5):4337-4344. Pubmedid: 35091844. Pmcid: PMC8799415.
- Oswald LB, Li X, Carvajal R, Hoogland AI, Gudenkauf LM, Hansen DK, Alsina M, Locke FL, Rodriguez Y, Irizarry-Arroyo N, Robinson EJ, Jim HSL, Gonzalez BD, Kirtane K. Longitudinal Collection of Patient-Reported Outcomes and Activity Data during CAR-T Therapy: Feasibility, Acceptability, and Data Visualization. Cancers (Basel). 2022 May.14(11). Pubmedid: 35681722. Pmcid: PMC9179384.
- Oswald LB, Brownstein NC, Whiting J, Hoogland AI, Saravia S, Kirtane K, Chung CH, Vinci C, Gonzalez BD, Johnstone PAS, Jim HSL. Smoking Is Related to Worse Cancer-related Symptom Burden. Oncologist. 2022 Mar.27(2):e176-e184. Pubmedid: 35641215. Pmcid: PMC8895733.
- Wang X, Muzaffar J, Kirtane K, Song F, Johnson M, Schell MJ, Li J, Yoder SJ, Conejo-Garcia JR, Guevara-Patino JA, Bonomi M, Bhateja P, Rocco JW, Steuer CE, Saba NF, Chung CH. T cell repertoire in peripheral blood as a potential biomarker for predicting response to concurrent cetuximab and nivolumab in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Immunother Cancer. 2022 Jun.10(6). Pubmedid: 35676062. Pmcid: PMC9185557.
- Chung CH, Li J, Steuer CE, Bhateja P, Johnson M, Masannat J, Poole MI, Song F, Hernandez-Prera JC, Molina H, Wenig BM, Kumar S, Kuperwasser C, Stephens PJ, Farinhas JM, Shin DM, Kish JA, Muzaffar J, Kirtane K, Rocco JW, Schell MJ, Saba NF, Bonomi M. Phase II Multi-institutional Clinical Trial Result of Concurrent Cetuximab and Nivolumab in Recurrent and/or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2022 Jun.28(11):2329-2338. Pubmedid: 35344035. Pmcid: PMC9167762.
- Barata A, Hoogland AI, Kommalapati A, Logue J, Welniak T, Hyland KA, Eisel SL, Small BJ, Jayani RV, Booth-Jones M, Oswald LB, Gonzalez BD, Kirtane KS, Jain MD, Mokhtari S, Chavez JC, Lazaryan A, Shah BD, Locke FL, Jim HSL. Change in Patients' Perceived Cognition Following Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cell Therapy for Lymphoma. Transplant Cell Ther. 2022 Jul.28(7):401.e1-401.e7. Pubmedid: 35580732. Pmcid: PMC9339228.
- Kirtane KS, Zahid MU, Enderling H, Harrison LB. Reimagining Cancer Staging in the Era of Evolutionary Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2022 Dec.20(12):1370-1372. Pubmedid: 36509079.
- Kirtane K, St John M, Fuentes-Bayne H, Patel SP, Mardiros A, Xu H, Ng EW, Go WY, Wong DJ, Sunwoo JB, Welch JS. Genomic Immune Evasion: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Opportunities in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. J Clin Med. 2022 Dec.11(24). Pubmedid: 36555876. Pmcid: PMC9781632.
- Tan E, Gakhar N, Kirtane K. TCR gene-engineered cell therapy for solid tumors. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2021 Sep.34(3):101285. Pubmedid: 34625228.
- Chung CH, Bonomi M, Steuer CE, Li J, Bhateja P, Johnson M, Masannat J, Song F, Hernandez-Prera JC, Wenig BM, Molina H, Farinhas JM, McMullen CP, Wadsworth JT, Patel KB, Kish JA, Muzaffar J, Kirtane K, Rocco JW, Schell MJ, Saba NF. Concurrent Cetuximab and Nivolumab as a Second-Line or beyond Treatment of Patients with Recurrent and/or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Results of Phase I/II Study. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Mar.13(5). Pubmedid: 33803335. Pmcid: PMC7967147.
- Kirtane K, Elmariah H, Chung CH, Abate-Daga D. Adoptive cellular therapy in solid tumor malignancies: review of the literature and challenges ahead. J Immunother Cancer. 2021 Jul.9(7). Pubmedid: 34301811. Pmcid: PMC8311333.
- Muzaffar J, Bari S, Kirtane K, Chung CH. Recent Advances and Future Directions in Clinical Management of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Jan.13(2). Pubmedid: 33477635. Pmcid: PMC7831487.
- Naffouje SA, Sabesan A, Hallanger-Johnson J, Kirtane K, Gonzalez RJ, Mullinax J. Adrenal biopsy, as a diagnostic method, is associated with decreased overall survival in patients with T1/T2 adrenocortical carcinoma: A propensity score-matched analysis. J Surg Oncol. 2021 Dec.124(8):1261-1271. Pubmedid: 34424540.
- Reckamp KL, Patil T, Kirtane K, Rich TA, Espenschied CR, Weipert CM, Raymond VM, Santana-Davila R, Doebele RC, Baik CS. Duration of Targeted Therapy in Patients With Advanced Non-small-cell Lung Cancer Identified by Circulating Tumor DNA Analysis. Clin Lung Cancer. 2020 Nov.21(6):545-552.e1. Pubmedid: 32665165. Pmcid: PMC9227978.
- Kirtane K, Roth MY. Emerging Therapies for Radioactive Iodine Refractory Thyroid Cancer. CURR TREAT OPTION ON. 2020 Feb.21(3):18. Pubmedid: 32048061.
- Loggers ET, Kirtane K, Palacios R, Lewis F. Leaving footprints, not scars: a qualitative pilot study of Hispanic mothers' willingness to communicate with dependent children about an advanced cancer diagnosis. Support Care Cancer. 2019 Apr.27(4):1573-1578. Pubmedid: 30719659. Pmcid: PMC8859975.
- Kirtane K, Downey L, Lee SJ, Curtis JR, Engelberg RA. Intensity of End-of-Life Care for Patients with Hematologic Malignancies and the Role of Race/Ethnicity. J Palliat Med. 2018 Oct.21(10):1466-1471. Pubmedid: 29975599. Pmcid: PMC6201780.
- Buckley SA, Kirtane K, Walter RB, Lee SJ, Lyman GH. Patient-reported outcomes in acute myeloid leukemia: Where are we now?. Blood Rev. 2018 Jan.32(1):81-87. Pubmedid: 28888621.
- Kirtane K, Rodriguez CP. Postoperative Combined Modality Treatment in High Risk Resected Locally Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Head and Neck (HNSCC). Front Oncol. 2018 Dec.8:588. Pubmedid: 30564559. Pmcid: PMC6288294.
- Kirtane K, Lee SJ. Racial and ethnic disparities in hematologic malignancies. Blood. 2017 Oct.130(15):1699-1705. Pubmedid: 28724539. Pmcid: PMC5639484.
GrantsTitle: Expand clinical trial patient navigator program and strengthening community referrals in Southwest and Central Florida to increase access to a phase 1 study of a mRNA cancer vaccine and immunotherapy for patients with unresectable head and neck squamous cell carcinomas
Sponsor: Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation
PI: Kirtane, K.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction4.8
129 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.