Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer Surgery
Uterine cancer surgery - including advanced robotic surgery - can be used to diagnose or treat various types of endometrial cancer. For example, to check for cancer in the lymph nodes around the uterus, a gynecologic oncologist may perform a diagnostic lymphadenectomy. Or, if a uterine cancer diagnosis has already been confirmed, a surgeon may recommend one of the following procedures as a form of treatment:
- A radical hysterectomy with a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, in which a surgeon removes the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and ovaries.
- A hysterectomy, in which a gynecologic oncologist removes the uterus and the cervix, along with the surrounding tissues, the ovaries and the upper part of the vagina.
- A pelvic extenteration or pelvic evisceration, in which a gynecologic oncologist removes the uterus, cervix, vagina, ovaries, bladder and the rectum, as well as the surrounding lymph nodes. After the extenteration, the surgeon then reconstructs the vagina using tissues from other parts of the body and creates a permanent colostomy and urinary diversion.
Why choose the endometrial cancer surgeons at Moffitt
At Moffitt Cancer Center, our highly experienced gynecologic oncologists perform these endometrial cancer surgeries on a regular basis. Additionally, we specialize in advanced approaches to these procedures, performing laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgeries when applicable. By offering a range of innovative approaches to uterine cancer surgery, we’re able to recommend the most promising options for each patient’s needs. A multispecialty team of oncologists will assess each patient’s unique situation to determine the best treatment options possible.
We understand that the decision to undergo surgery is a life-changing one. We’re here to provide all of the support that a patient might need, from fertility preservation assistance to emotional counseling and psychosocial care. Our commitment to comprehensive care is just one more reason that patients choose us for uterine cancer surgery.
To learn more about the surgical procedures we perform for patients with endometrial cancer, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form. Referrals are not required to receive uterine cancer surgery at Moffitt.
- Patients traveling from Orlando, FL
- Patients traveling from West Palm Beach, FL
- Patients traveling from Fort Myers-Naples, FL
- Patients traveling from Clearwater, FL
- Patients traveling from St. Petersburg, FL
- Patients from Tampa, FL