Dr. Montilla-Soler started his employment as an Assistant Professor with Moffitt Cancer Center in 2010. Before joining our staff of compassionate cancer experts, he received his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Puerto Rico Medical School. After post-graduate Radiology Residency training and a Nuclear Medicine Fellowship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, he served as Director of PET/CT services at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC. He is fluent in Spanish and comes to us from Emory University in Atlanta, GA, where he served as director of oncologic PET/CT services. Dr. Montilla-Soler has extensive teaching experience and serves as Director of Nuclear Medicine and PET Services. He is focused on diagnostic and therapeutic Nuclear Medicine procedures, to include Positron Emission Tomography (PET).
Education & Training
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Nuclear Medicine
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Diagnostic Radiology
- University of Puerto Rico - MD
- Al-Toubah T, Montilla-Soler J, El-Haddad G, Haider M, Strosberg J. Somatostatin Receptor Expression in Lung Neuroendocrine Tumors: An Analysis of DOTATATE PET Scans. J Nucl Med. 2023 Oct. Pubmedid: 37797976.
- Balkin DM, Tranah GJ, Wang F, O'Donoghue C, Morell EA, Porubsky C, Nosrati M, Vaquero EM, Kim H, Carr MJ, Montilla-Soler JL, Wu MC, Torre DM, Kashani-Sabet M, Zager JS, Leong SP. Lymphoscintigraphy Using Tilmanocept Detects Multiple Sentinel Lymph Nodes in Melanoma Patients. Cancer Control. 2023 Jan.30. Pubmedid: 36705261. Pmcid: PMC9893075.
- Morse B, Al-Toubah T, Montilla-Soler J. Anatomic and Functional Imaging of Neuroendocrine Tumors. CURR TREAT OPTION ON. 2020 Jul.21(9):75. Pubmedid: 32728967.
- Thomas KL, Jeong D, Montilla-Soler J, Feuerlein S. The role of diagnostic imaging in the primary testicular cancer: initial staging, response assessment and surveillance. Transl Androl Urol. 2020 Jan.9(Suppl 1):S3-S13. Pubmedid: 32055480. Pmcid: PMC6995841.
- Polk SL, Montilla-Soler J, Gage KL, Parsee A, Jeong D. Cardiac Metastases in Neuroendocrine Tumors: 68Ga-DOTATATE PET/CT With Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Correlation. Clin Nucl Med. 2020 Apr.45(4):e201-e205. Pubmedid: 32049725.
- Montilla-Soler JL, Makanji RJ, Barron BJ. Oncologic F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography: What All Physicians Need to Know. Am J Med. 2018 Apr.131(4):357-364. Pubmedid: 29274757.
- Jeong D, Bui M, Peterson D, Montilla-Soler J, Gage KL. FDG avid breast cancer bone metastases silent on CT and scintigraphy: a case report with radiologic-pathologic correlation. Acta Radiol Open. 2017 Oct.6(10):2058460117734243. Pubmedid: 29051834. Pmcid: PMC5638166.
- Oliver JA, Venkat P, Frakes JM, Klapman J, Harris C, Montilla-Soler J, Dhadham GC, Altazi BA, Zhang GG, Moros EG, Shridhar R, Hoffe SE, Latifi K. Fiducial markers coupled with 3D PET/CT offer more accurate radiation treatment delivery for locally advanced esophageal cancer. Endosc Int Open. 2017 Jun.5(6):E496-E504. Pubmedid: 28573183. Pmcid: PMC5451282.
- Doepker MP, Yamamoto M, Applebaum MA, Patel NU, Jaime Montilla-Soler M, Sarnaik AA, Wayne Cruse C, Sondak VK, Zager JS. Comparison of Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography-Computed Tomography (SPECT/CT) and Conventional Planar Lymphoscintigraphy for Sentinel Node Localization in Patients with Cutaneous Malignancies. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Feb.24(2):355-361. Pubmedid: 27660259. Pmcid: PMC5955617.
- Montilla-Soler JL, Makanji R. Skeletal Scintigraphy. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr.24(2):137-146. Pubmedid: 28441368.
- Valderrabano P, Montilla Soler J, Mifsud MJ, Leon ME, Centeno BA, Khazai L, Padhya T, McCaffrey TV, Russell JS, McIver B, Otto KJ. Hypermetabolism on (18)F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography Scan Does Not Influence the Interpretation of Thyroid Cytopathology, and Nodules with a SUVmax <2.5 are not at increased risk for malignancy. thyroid. 2016 sep.26(9):1300-1307. pubmedid:>27324615. 2.5>
- Jeong D, Gage KL, Berman CG, Montilla-Soler JL. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance for Evaluating Catheter Related FDG Avidity. Case Rep Radiol. 2016 Nov.2016:5460727. Pubmedid: 27867676. Pmcid: PMC5102723.
- Revuelta GJ, Montilla J, Benatar M, Freeman A, Wichmann T, Jinnah HA, Delong MR, Factor SA. An ¹⁸F-FDG PET study of cervical muscle in parkinsonian anterocollis. J Neurol Sci. 2014 May.340(1-2):174-177. Pubmedid: 24725739. Pmcid: PMC4305331.
- Kuykendall CC, Budzevich MM, Latifi K, Moros EG, Hoffe SE, Dilling TJ, Zhang GG, Montilla-Soler JL, Eikman EA. 4D PET/CT: Radiology Imaging to Radiation Therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2014 Mar.3(2 Suppl 1):S28. Pubmedid: 24674534.
- Budzevich MM, Kuykendall CC, Latifi K, Oliver J, Dilling TJ, Hoffe SE, Eikman EA, Montilla-Soler JI, Zhang GG, Moros EG. A Method to Determine the Optimal Number of Bins in 4D PET. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2014 Mar.3(2 Suppl 1):S25. Pubmedid: 24674527.
- Oliver JA, Budzevich M, Zhang G, Moros EG, Latifi K, Kuykendall C, Hoffe S, Montilla-Soler J, Eikman E, Dilling T. Positron emission tomography texture analysis of necrosis in primary adenocarcinomas of the lung. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2014 Mar.3(2 Suppl 1):S29-S30. Pubmedid: 24674537.
- Outwater EK, Montilla-Soler JL. Imaging of prostate carcinoma. Cancer Control. 2013 Jul.20(3):161-176. Pubmedid: 23811700.
- Davison JM, Stocker DJ, Montilla-Soler JL, Jurgens JS, Allen TW, Holley TS, Stack AL. The added benefit of a dedicated neck F-18 FDG PET-CT imaging protocol in patients with suspected recurrent differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Jul.33(7):464-468. Pubmedid: 18580230.
- Semerad D, Statler J, Harcke HT, Montilla J. Disease and nonbattle injury in the combat zone. Emerg Radiol. 2007 Sep.14(4):205-209. Pubmedid: 17674065.
- Koff SG, Sterbis JR, Davison JM, Montilla-Soler JL. A unique presentation of appendicitis: F-18 FDG PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2006 Nov.31(11):704-706. Pubmedid: 17053390.
- Harcke HT, Statler JD, Montilla J. Radiology in a hostile environment: experience in Afghanistan. Mil Med. 2006 Mar.171(3):194-199. Pubmedid: 16602513.
- Davison JM, Montilla-Soler JL, Broussard E, Wilson R, Cap A, Allen T. F-18 FDG PET-CT imaging of a mycotic aneurysm. Clin Nucl Med. 2005 Jul.30(7):483-487. Pubmedid: 15965324.
- Shorr AF, Helman DL, Lettieri CJ, Montilla JL, Bridwell RS. Depreotide scanning in sarcoidosis: a pilot study. Chest. 2004 Oct.126(4):1337-1343. Pubmedid: 15486401.
- Davison JM, Bridwell R, Montilla JL, Jackson E, Moores LK. A novel diagnostic method for acute pulmonary embolism: technetium-99m apcitide scintigraphy. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Jun.140(11):936-939. Pubmedid: 15172917.
- Montilla-Soler JL, Rexroad JT, Bridwell RS. Tc-99m depreotide scintigraphy of low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Clin Nucl Med. 2003 Jun.28(6):503-505. Pubmedid: 12917537.
- Montilla-Soler JL, Bridwell RS. Tc-99m depreotide scintigraphy of breast carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med. 2002 Mar.27(3):202-204. Pubmedid: 11852309.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction0
0 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.