Leukemia Treatment Information for Residents of Orlando, FL
If you live in Orlando, Florida, and have been diagnosed with leukemia, you may be feeling overwhelmed or confused about your next steps. But one thing is for certain—you want to receive treatment from experienced hematological specialists who utilize the latest breakthroughs in surgery, infusion therapies and supportive care. Moffitt Cancer Center in nearby Tampa is a premier destination for leukemia treatment for patients from throughout the state and across the country. Our Malignant Hematology Program is one of the largest in the nation, which means our specialists possess a unique level of experience diagnosing and treating even the most uncommon and complex types of leukemia.
Why choose Moffitt for leukemia treatment?
In addition to the incredible expertise of our physicians, there are several factors that separate Moffitt from other cancer centers in central Florida. For example, Moffitt patients benefit from:
- A multispecialty treatment team that includes fellowship-trained surgeons, hematologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists and other experts, all of whom practice in the same location.
- Individualized treatment plans that are carefully developed by Moffitt’s tumor board.
- Advanced treatments, from traditional chemotherapy and radiation therapy to innovative monoclonal antibody therapy and bone marrow transplant. Our leukemia specialists work closely with physicians in our Bone and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy Program to provide well-rounded treatment and the best chance at a positive outcome and enhanced quality of life.
- A robust clinical trial program that allows many of our patients to experience the latest breakthroughs in leukemia treatment before they are made available elsewhere.
We understand that driving back and forth on the interstate between your home in Orlando, FL, and Moffitt could become a hassle. That’s why we have partnered with several reputable hotels near our cancer center to provide discounted rates to out-of-town patients and their families.
Frequently asked questions
What supportive care services does Moffitt offer to patients?
At Moffitt, our specialists believe supportive care is an integral component of successful cancer treatment. We ensure patients have access to a full spectrum of supportive care in the same location where they receive clinical treatment. Our services include:
- Counseling, therapy and medication management
- Stress reduction techniques, including yoga and acupuncture
- Nutritional counseling
- Pain management
- Advance care planning, including assistance from social workers
Follow this link to learn more about Moffitt’s integrative approach to supportive care.
What services are available to caregivers and families?
Moffitt is mindful of the strain that caregivers and family members face as a loved one undergoes cancer treatment. In alignment with our core concept of Patient and Family-Centered Care, we offer a variety of specialty programs, support groups and events designed to benefit patient caregivers and family members. Learn more here.
What lodging options are available?
Moffitt offers several convenient lodging options to patients and their families who are traveling to our cancer center from the Orlando area. Patients can select from nearby furnished apartments and reputable hotels that offer thoughtful accommodations, such as:
- Shuttle service to and from Moffitt
- Complimentary breakfast
- Free on-site parking
- On-site laundry
View the latest information about our partner hotels and lodging options here.
Does Moffitt offer telemedicine services?
Yes, Moffitt offers Virtual Visits that give patients access to their clinical care teams from the comfort of home—an ideal solution for Moffitt patients who reside outside of Tampa and require routine follow-up care. All that’s necessary is an internet connection and a smartphone, tablet or webcam-enabled computer.
Through Moffitt’s Virtual Visits, patients can consult with medical oncologists, surgeons, nurses, supportive care providers and other clinical care team members. Our professionals can also virtually prescribe medications and adjust treatment plans, as necessary. If it is determined that in-person evaluation is required, patients can be assured that Moffitt is a safe and accommodating place for all aspects of cancer care.
Your partner in cancer care
Moffitt welcomes people from Orlando, FL, who are displaying symptoms of leukemia or who have already received a diagnosis. Schedule an appointment with one of our cancer specialists by submitting a new patient registration form online or calling 1-888-663-3488. Our team is here to answer additional questions you may have.