Bruna Pellini, MD: Dr. Bruna Pellini is an Assistant Member at the Department of Thoracic Oncology at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and an Assistant Professor at Morsani College of Medicine at University of South Florida. She received her medical degree from the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, and completed her residency at University of Central Florida College of Medicine, where she was awarded the “Clinical Skills Award” in 2015 and was inducted into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society in 2016. Dr. Pellini completed her medical oncology fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, where she worked at the laboratory of Aadel Chaudhuri, MD, Ph.D. researching circulating tumor DNA for minimal residual disease detection across different solid tumors. Dr. Pellini is an active member of the American Association of Cancer Research, the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the Lung Cancer Center of Excellence and the Molecular Medicine Committees at Moffitt Cancer Center. She specializes in the care of patients diagnosed with lung cancer. Her research interest lies in the development of clinical trials with novel therapeutics targeting genomic alterations in non-small cell lung cancer, to study liquid biopsies as a biomarker to monitor treatment response and minimal residual disease, and to study the molecular landscape of lung cancer in patients of Hispanic ancestry.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine - Medical Oncology
- Washington University School of Medicine - Medical Oncology
- University of Central Florida College of Medicine - Internal Medicine
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Faculdade de Medicina, Brazil
Clinical Trial 20373
TH-138: Phase II Randomized Trial of Carboplatin + Pemetrexed + Bevacizumab, With or Without Atezolizumab in Stage IV Non-Squamous NSCLC Patients who Harbor a Sensitizing EGFR Mutation or Have Never Smoked
Intervention: Alimta (Pemetrexed); Atezolizumab (Tecentriq); Avastin (Bevacizumab); Bevacizumab (); Paraplatin (carboplatin); Pemetrexed (); carboplatin ()
Clinical Trial 21074
A Phase 2 Randomized Study of Osimertinib Versus Osimertinib Plus Chemotherapy for Patients with Metastatic EGFR-Mutant Lung Cancers That Have Detectable EGFRMutant cfDNA in Plasma After Initiation of Osimertinib
Intervention: AZD9291 (Osimertinib); Alimta (Pemetrexed); Osimertinib (); Paraplatin (carboplatin); Pemetrexed (); carboplatin ()
Clinical Trial 21850
Phase 1/1b, Multicenter, Open-Label, Dose Escalation and Dose Expansion Study of RMC-6291 Monotherapy in Subjects with Advanced KRASG12C Mutant Solid Tumors
Intervention: RMC-6291 ()
Clinical Trial 22068
A Phase 1 Study of the SHP2 Inhibitor BBP-398 (formerly known as IACS-15509) in Combination with the Programmed Death Receptor-1 Blocking Antibody Nivolumab in Patients with Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with a KRAS Mutation
Intervention: BBP-398 (); BMS-936558 (Nivolumab); Nivolumab (Opdivo)
- Pellini B, Madison RW, Childress M, Miller ST, Gjoerup O, Cheng J, Huang RSP, Krainock M, Gupta P, Zou W, Shames DS, Moshkevich S, Ballinger M, Liu MC, Young A, Srivastava MK, Oxnard GR, Socinski MA. Circulating Tumor DNA Monitoring on Chemo-immunotherapy for Risk Stratification in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2023 Sep. Pubmedid: 37702716.
- Semenkovich NP, Badiyan SN, Samson PP, Stowe HB, Wang YE, Star R, Devarakonda S, Govindan R, Waqar SN, Robinson CG, Vlacich G, Pellini B, Chaudhuri AA. Pre-radiotherapy ctDNA liquid biopsy for risk stratification of oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer. NPJ Precis Oncol. 2023 Oct.7(1):100. Pubmedid: 37783809. Pmcid: PMC10545784.
- Bodor JN, Patel JD, Wakelee HA, Levy BP, Borghaei H, Pellini B, Costello MR, Dowell JE, Finley G, Huang CH, Neal JW, Nieva JJ, Puri S, Socinski MA, Thomas C, Ross EA, Litwin S, Clapper ML, Treat J. Phase II Randomized Trial of Carboplatin, Pemetrexed, and Bevacizumab With and Without Atezolizumab in Stage IV Nonsquamous Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients Who Harbor a Sensitizing EGFR Mutation or Have Never Smoked. Clin Lung Cancer. 2023 Nov.24(7):e242-e246. Pubmedid: 37451930.
- Chaudhuri A, Semenkovich N, Samson P, Badiyan S, Vlacich G, Stowe H, Wang Y, Star R, Devarakonda S, Govindan R, Waqar S, Robinson C, Pellini B. Pre-radiotherapy ctDNA liquid biopsy for risk stratification of oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Res Sq. 2023 Mar. Pubmedid: 36993328. Pmcid: PMC10055612.
- Semenkovich NP, Szymanski JJ, Earland N, Chauhan PS, Pellini B, Chaudhuri AA. Genomic approaches to cancer and minimal residual disease detection using circulating tumor DNA. J Immunother Cancer. 2023 Jun.11(6). Pubmedid: 37349125. Pmcid: PMC10314661.
- Pellini B, Chaudhuri AA. ctDNA Monitoring for Small Cell Lung Cancer: Ready for Prime Time?. Clin Cancer Res. 2023 Jun.29(12):2176-2178. Pubmedid: 37097069. Pmcid: PMC10330146.
- Soupir AC, Tian Y, Stewart PA, Nunez-Lopez YO, Manley BJ, Pellini B, Bloomer AM, Zhang J, Mo Q, Marchion DC, Liu M, Koomen JM, Siegel EM, Wang L. Detectable Lipidomes and Metabolomes by Different Plasma Exosome Isolation Methods in Healthy Controls and Patients with Advanced Prostate and Lung Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2023 Jan.24(3). Pubmedid: 36768152. Pmcid: PMC9916336.
- Marin-Acevedo JA, Pellini B, Kimbrough EO, Hicks JK, Chiappori A. Treatment Strategies for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with Common EGFR Mutations: A Review of the History of EGFR TKIs Approval and Emerging Data. Cancers (Basel). 2023 Jan.15(3). Pubmedid: 36765587. Pmcid: PMC9913773.
- Imbody D, Arce K, Solanki HS, Haura EB, Pellini B. Targeting SHP2 Signaling in Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2023 Aug. Pubmedid: 37574134.
- Pellini B, Chaudhuri AA. Circulating Tumor DNA Minimal Residual Disease Detection of Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Treated With Curative Intent. J Clin Oncol. 2022 Feb.40(6):567-575. Pubmedid: 34985936. Pmcid: PMC8853615.
- Schlick B, Shields MD, Marin-Acevedo JA, Patel I, Pellini B. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors and Chemoradiation for Limited-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. CURR TREAT OPTION ON. 2022 Aug.23(8):1104-1120. Pubmedid: 35716328. Pmcid: PMC9345799.
- Shields MD, Chen K, Dutcher G, Patel I, Pellini B. Making the Rounds: Exploring the Role of Circulating Tumor DNA (ctDNA) in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2022 Aug.23(16). Pubmedid: 36012272. Pmcid: PMC9408840.
- Luo J, Ostrem J, Pellini B, Imbody D, Stern Y, Solanki HS, Haura EB, Villaruz LC. Overcoming KRAS-Mutant Lung Cancer. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2022 Apr.42:1-11. Pubmedid: 35412860.
- Huang J, Soupir AC, Schlick BD, Teng M, Sahin IH, Permuth JB, Siegel EM, Manley BJ, Pellini B, Wang L. Cancer Detection and Classification by CpG Island Hypermethylation Signatures in Plasma Cell-Free DNA. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Nov.13(22). Pubmedid: 34830765. Pmcid: PMC8616264.
- Chen K, Shields MD, Chauhan PS, Ramirez RJ, Harris PK, Reimers MA, Zevallos JP, Davis AA, Pellini B, Chaudhuri AA. Commercial ctDNA Assays for Minimal Residual Disease Detection of Solid Tumors. Mol Diagn Ther. 2021 Nov.25(6):757-774. Pubmedid: 34725800. Pmcid: PMC9016631.
- Shields MD, Marin-Acevedo JA, Pellini B. Immunotherapy for Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Decade of Progress. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2021 Mar.41:1-23. Pubmedid: 33979196.
- Devarakonda S, Pellini B, Verghese L, Park H, Morgensztern D, Govindan R, Suresh R, Oppelt P, Baggstrom MQ, Wu N, Waqar SN. A phase II study of everolimus in patients with advanced solid malignancies with TSC1, TSC2, NF1, NF2 or STK11 mutations. J Thorac Dis. 2021 Jul.13(7):4054-4062. Pubmedid: 34422335. Pmcid: PMC8339787.
- Pellini B, Pejovic N, Feng W, Earland N, Harris PK, Usmani A, Szymanski JJ, Qaium F, Mudd J, Petty M, Jiang Y, Singh A, Maher CA, Henke LE, Park H, Ciorba MA, Kim H, Mutch MG, Pedersen KS, Tan BR, Hawkins WG, Fields RC, Chaudhuri AA. ctDNA MRD Detection and Personalized Oncogenomic Analysis in Oligometastatic Colorectal Cancer From Plasma and Urine. JCO Precis Oncol. 2021 Feb.5. Pubmedid: 34250420. Pmcid: PMC8232837.
- Pellini B, Szymanski J, Chin RI, Jones PA, Chaudhuri AA. Liquid Biopsies Using Circulating Tumor DNA in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Thorac Surg Clin. 2020 May.30(2):165-177. Pubmedid: 32327175.
- Chaudhuri AA, Pellini B, Pejovic N, Chauhan PS, Harris PK, Szymanski JJ, Smith ZL, Arora VK. Emerging Roles of Urine-Based Tumor DNA Analysis in Bladder Cancer Management. JCO Precis Oncol. 2020 Jul.4. Pubmedid: 32923907. Pmcid: PMC7448529.
- Jacobs MT, Olson M, Ferreira BP, Jin R, Hachem R, Byers D, Witt C, Ghobadi A, DiPersio JF, Pusic I. The use of ruxolitinib for acute graft-versus-host disease developing after solid organ transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2020 Feb.20(2):589-592. Pubmedid: 31446673.
- Pellini Ferreira B, Vasquez J, Carilli A. Metastatic Hepatoid Carcinoma of the Pancreas: First Description of Treatment With Capecitabine and Temozolomide. Am J Med Sci. 2017 Jun.353(6):610-612. Pubmedid: 28641727.
- Pellini Ferreira B, Redman M, Baker KK, Martins R, Eaton KD, Chow LQM, Baik CS, Goulart B, Lee SM, Santana-Davila R, Rodriguez CP. Predictors of outcome with cetuximab and paclitaxel for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope. 2017 Jul.127(7):1583-1588. Pubmedid: 27905113.
- Uchôa Dde M, Graudenz MS, Callegari-Jacques SM, Hartmann CR, Ferreira BP, Fitarelli-Kiehl M, Edelweiss MI. Expression of cancer stem cell markers in basal and penta-negative breast carcinomas--a study of a series of triple-negative tumors. Pathol Res Pract. 2014 Jul.210(7):432-439. Pubmedid: 24726267.
- Ferreira BP, Rodler ET, Loggers ET, Pollack SM, Jones RL. Systemic therapy in primary angiosarcoma of the spleen. Rare Tumors. 2012 Oct.4(4):e55. Pubmedid: 23372919. Pmcid: PMC3557569.
GrantsTitle: Culturally tailored educational videos to increase clinical trial knowledge for minority patients with lung cancer
Sponsor: Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation
PI: Pellini, B.
Title: Minority patient-centered education initiative to increase knowledge about clinical trials in thoracic oncology
Sponsor: Moffitt Cancer Center
PI: Pellini, B.
Title: Culturally tailored educational videos to increase clinical trial knowledge for minority patients with lung cancer
Sponsor: Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation
PI: Pellini, B.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction4.9
66 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.