Farah Khalil, MD is an Associate Member in the Department of Anatomic Pathology at Moffitt Cancer Center, Director of the Histology and Immunohistochemistry Laboratory, and Associate Professor of Oncologic Sciences at USF. Clinically, she focuses on Pulmonary Pathology. Dr. Khalil earned her medical degree from Khyber Medical College, University of Peshawar, and completed her residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at the University of Florida, followed by an oncologic surgical pathology fellowship at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center.
Education & Training
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center - Oncologic Surgical Pathology
- University of South Florida - Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- Khyber Medical College, University of Peshawar - MBBS
- Zota V, Siegal GP, Kelly D, Bridge JA, Berglund A, Bui K, Khalil F, R Reed D, Altiok S, Magliocco A, Bui MM. Validation of PRKCB Immunohistochemistry as a Biomarker for the Diagnosis of Ewing Sarcoma. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2023 Apr.42(2):241-252. Pubmedid: 36062956.
- Baby S, Khalil F, Tanvetyanon T. Frontline pembrolizumab for the treatment of RET-rearranged non-small cell lung cancer: A case report. Cancer Treat Res Commun. 2021 Jun.28:100423. Pubmedid: 34166867.
- Boyle TA, Khalil FK, Mino-Kenudson M, Sica GL, Moreira AL, Sholl LM, Knight MZ, Zhang L, Saller J, Varella-Garcia M, Berry LD, Chen H, Ellison KE, Rivard CJ, Kugler K, Wistuba II, Fujimoto J, Kwiatkowski DJ, Bunn PA, Kris MG, Haura EB, Hirsch FR. Round Robin Evaluation of MET Protein Expression in Lung Adenocarcinomas Improves Interobserver Concordance. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2020 Oct.28(9):669-677. Pubmedid: 31876606. Pmcid: PMC7242128.
- Mohamed AZ, Khalil FK, Toloza EM, Tanvetyanon T. Metastasectomy for Isolated Right-Sided Thoracic Lymph Node Metastasis From Tubal Carcinoma. Am Surg. 2020 May.86(5):521-523. Pubmedid: 32684038.
- Creelan BC, Ahmad MU, Kaszuba FJ, Khalil FK, Welsh AW, Ozdemirli M, Grant NN, Subramaniam DS. Clinical Activity of Nivolumab for Human Papilloma Virus-Related Juvenile-Onset Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis. Oncologist. 2019 Jun.24(6):829-835. Pubmedid: 30842242. Pmcid: PMC6656512.
- Mumtaz H, Khalil F, Tandon A, Toloza E, Fontaine JP. Primary bronchial Ewing sarcoma. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2019 Jul.61:230-233. Pubmedid: 31377551. Pmcid: PMC6698311.
- Saltos A, Khalil F, Smith M, Li J, Schell M, Antonia SJ, Gray JE. Clinical associations of mucin 1 in human lung cancer and precancerous lesions. Oncotarget. 2018 Nov.9(86):35666-35675. Pubmedid: 30479696. Pmcid: PMC6235019.
- Gray JE, Chiappori A, Williams CC, Tanvetyanon T, Haura EB, Creelan BC, Kim J, Boyle TA, Pinder-Schenck M, Khalil F, Altiok S, Devane R, Noyes D, Mediavilla-Varela M, Smilee R, Hopewell EL, Kelley L, Antonia SJ. A phase I/randomized phase II study of GM.CD40L vaccine in combination with CCL21 in patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Immunol Immun. 2018 Dec.67(12):1853-1862. Pubmedid: 30209589. Pmcid: PMC6244998.
- Prabhakaran S, Rizk VT, Ma Z, Cheng CH, Berglund AE, Coppola D, Khalil F, Mulé JJ, Soliman HH. Evaluation of invasive breast cancer samples using a 12-chemokine gene expression score: correlation with clinical outcomes. Breast Cancer Res. 2017 Jun.19(1):71. Pubmedid: 28629479. Pmcid: PMC5477261.
- Qin D, Zheng Z, Shen S, Smith P, Khalil FK. Necessity of Microdissecting Different Tumor Components in Pulmonary Tumor Pyrosequencing. Biomed Res Int. 2017 Feb.2016:8759267. Pubmedid: 27597976. Pmcid: PMC4997073.
- Cohen AS, Khalil FK, Welsh EA, Schabath MB, Enkemann SA, Davis A, Zhou JM, Boulware DC, Kim J, Haura EB, Morse DL. Cell-surface marker discovery for lung cancer. Oncotarget. 2017 Dec.8(69):113373-113402. Pubmedid: 29371917. Pmcid: PMC5768334.
- Al Diffalha S, Al Aukla N, Hasan S, Dickinson S, Khalil F. NUT Midline Carcinoma: A Rare Malignancy. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr.24(2):202-206. Pubmedid: 28441376.
- Garcia-Henriquez N, Toloza EM, Khalil F, Echavarria MF, Garrett JR, Moodie CC, Kaszuba FJ, Fontaine JP. Extensive plastic bronchitis: etiology of a rare condition. J Thorac Dis. 2016 Sep.8(9):E961-E965. Pubmedid: 27747036. Pmcid: PMC5059329.
- Serdiuk A, Khalil F, Cohen JB. Images in Anesthesiology: An Unexpected Embolism during a Craniotomy. Anesthesiology. 2016 Mar.124(3):721. Pubmedid: 26288269.
- Roy J, Putt KS, Coppola D, Leon ME, Khalil FK, Centeno BA, Clark N, Stark VE, Morse DL, Low PS. Assessment of cholecystokinin 2 receptor (CCK2R) in neoplastic tissue. Oncotarget. 2016 Mar.7(12):14605-14615. Pubmedid: 26910279. Pmcid: PMC4924738.
- Smith MA, Hall R, Fisher K, Haake SM, Khalil F, Schabath MB, Vuaroqueaux V, Fiebig HH, Altiok S, Chen YA, Haura EB. Annotation of human cancers with EGFR signaling-associated protein complexes using proximity ligation assays. Sci Signal. 2015 Jan.8(359):ra4. Pubmedid: 25587191. Pmcid: PMC4440040.
- Khalil FK, Altiok S. Advances in EGFR as a Predictive Marker in Lung Adenocarcinoma. Cancer Control. 2015 Apr.22(2):193-199. Pubmedid: 26068764.
- Soliman H, Khalil F, Antonia S. PD-L1 expression is increased in a subset of basal type breast cancer cells. PLoS One. 2014 Feb.9(2):e88557. Pubmedid: 24551119. Pmcid: PMC3925108.
- Mediavilla-Varela M, Luddy K, Noyes D, Khalil FK, Neuger AM, Soliman H, Antonia S. Antagonism of adenosine A2A receptor expressed by lung adenocarcinoma tumor cells and cancer associated fibroblasts inhibits their growth. Cancer Biol Ther. 2013 Sep.14(9):860-868. Pubmedid: 23917542. Pmcid: PMC3909555.
- Soliman H, Rawal B, Fulp J, Lee JH, Lopez A, Bui MM, Khalil F, Antonia S, Yfantis HG, Lee DH, Dorsey TH, Ambs S. Analysis of indoleamine 2-3 dioxygenase (IDO1) expression in breast cancer tissue by immunohistochemistry. Cancer Immunol Immun. 2013 May.62(5):829-837. Pubmedid: 23344392. Pmcid: PMC4501769.
- McNab P, Quigley B, Mendoza T, Hakam A, Khalil F, Fishman M, Altiok S. The histogenic origin of melanoma arising in respiratory epithelium of a teratomatous germ cell tumor of the mediastinum: an enigma unraveled from an unlikely source. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013 Apr.5(9):982-990. Pubmedid: 23119117. Pmcid: PMC3484497.
- Schlauder SM, Calder KB, Khalil FK, Passmore L, Mathew RA, Morgan MB. Bif-1 and Bax expression in cutaneous Merkel cell carcinoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2009 Jan.36(1):21-25. Pubmedid: 19125733.
- Coppola D, Khalil F, Eschrich SA, Boulware D, Yeatman T, Wang HG. Down-regulation of Bax-interacting factor-1 in colorectal adenocarcinoma. Cancer. 2008 Nov.113(10):2665-2670. Pubmedid: 18833585. Pmcid: PMC2614910.
- Calder K, Khalil F, Schlauder S, Cualing H, Morgan M. Immunohistochemical expression of survivin in cutaneous sebaceous lesions. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2008 Dec.30(6):545-548. Pubmedid: 19033926.
- Khalil FK, Keehn CA, Saeed S, Morgan MB. Verrucous psoriasis: a distinctive clinicopathologic variant of psoriasis. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2005 Jun.27(3):204-207. Pubmedid: 15900122.
- Khalil FK, Sagatys E, Morgan MB. What is it? Unusual interstitial fibrohistiocytic tumor or other. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2004 Jun.26(3):255-256. Pubmedid: 15166520.
- Khalil FK, Wallis-Crespo MC, Gilbert-Barness E. Pathology teach and tell: eosinophilic granuloma. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2004 Jul.23(4):281-284. Pubmedid: 16095040.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction0
0 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.