Dr. Marten Basta is an Assistant Member in the Reconstructive Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Basta and affiliated with the Departments of Breast and Cutaneous Oncology. Dr. Basta received his MD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He completed the Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency at Brown University and most recently completed a Microsurgery Fellowship from the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Basta has more than 60 peer-reviewed articles published, five book chapters and is a member of the most prestigious national plastic surgery societies. His clinical interests include breast reconstruction utilizing the full spectrum of autologous and implant-based techniques, chest wall and trunk reconstruction, lymphedema, extremity soft tissue and composite tissue reconstruction with a focus on microsurgical technique. His research interests are in breast reconstruction outcomes and patient satisfaction, cost-efficacy/cost-utility analyses, surgical risk stratification, development and evaluation of novel micro-surgical reconstructions, lymphedema surgical treatment and prevention strategies,
- Rao V, Basta MN, Jehle CC, Crozier JW, Woo AS. Quantifying the Effective Lift of Skin-Only, SMAS Plication, and Extended SMAS Face-Lift Techniques in a Cadaveric Study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2023 Feb.151(2):223e-233e. Pubmedid: 36332084.
- Basta MN, White-Dzuro CG, Rao V, Liu PY, Kwan D, Breuing KH, Sullivan R, Mermel LA, Drolet BC, Schmidt S. Alpha Defensin-1 Biomarker Outperforms Culture in Diagnosing Breast Implant-Related Infection: Results from a Multicenter Prospective Study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2023 Apr.151(4):706-714. Pubmedid: 36729968.
- Naga HI, Mellia JA, Basta MN, Morris MP, Christopher AN, Campbell FM, Sommers K, Levinson H, Nelson JA, Fischer JP. Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma: Updated Systematic Review and Analysis of Treatment Strategies. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2022 Oct.150(4):762-769. Pubmedid: 35862104. Pmcid: PMC9551598.
- Basta MN, Rao V, Paiva M, Liu PY, Woo AS, Fischer JP, Breuing KH. Evaluating the Inaccuracy of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Project Surgical Risk Calculator in Plastic Surgery: A Meta-analysis of Short-Term Predicted Complications. Ann Plast Surg. 2022 May.88(3 Suppl 3):S219-S223. Pubmedid: 35513323.
- Basta MN, Rao V, Roussel LO, Crozier JW, Liu PY, Woo AS. Refining Indications for Orbital Floor Fracture Reconstruction: A Risk-Stratification Tool Predicting Symptom Development and Need for Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Sep.148(3):606-615. Pubmedid: 34432690.
- Perzia BM, Marquez J, Mellia JA, Jou C, Othman S, Basta MN, Fischer JP, Labropoulos N, Khan S. Venous Thromboembolism and Bleeding Events With Chemoprophylaxis in Abdominoplasty: A Systematic Review and Pooled Analysis of 1596 Patients. Aesthet Surg J. 2021 Oct.41(11):1279-1289. Pubmedid: 33599713.
- Vishwanath N, Rao V, Basta MN, Schmidt ST, Kalliainen LK. Symptomatic hernia of the thigh musculature requiring reconstruction: A rare late presenting sequela after fascial release for compartment syndrome. Trauma Case Rep. 2021 Oct.35:100528. Pubmedid: 34485667. Pmcid: PMC8405955.
- Mellia JA, Basta MN, Toyoda Y, Othman S, Elfanagely O, Morris MP, Torre-Healy L, Ungar LH, Fischer JP. Natural Language Processing in Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ann Surg. 2021 May.273(5):900-908. Pubmedid: 33074901.
- Basta MN. Postoperative Serotonin Syndrome Following Methylene Blue Administration for Vasoplegia After Cardiac Surgery: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2021 Mar.25(1):51-56. Pubmedid: 32951524.
- Morris MP, Mellia JA, Christopher AN, Basta MN, Patel V, Qiu K, Broach RB, Fischer JP. Ventral hernia repair with synthetic mesh in a contaminated field: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hernia. 2021 Aug.25(4):1035-1050. Pubmedid: 33464537.
- Elfanagely O, Mellia JA, Othman S, Basta MN, Mauch JT, Fischer JP. Computed Tomography Image Analysis in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction: A Systematic Review. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020 Dec.8(12):e3307. Pubmedid: 33425615. Pmcid: PMC7787336.
- Mellia JA, Othman S, Naga HI, Messa CA, Elfanagely O, Byrnes YM, Basta MN, Fischer JP. Outcomes of Poly-4-hydroxybutyrate Mesh in Ventral Hernia Repair: A Systematic Review and Pooled Analysis. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020 Dec.8(12):e3158. Pubmedid: 33425570. Pmcid: PMC7787297.
- Nissen NJ, Okhah ZI, Basta MN, Hsieh S, Crozier JW, Jehle CC, Rao V, Woo AS. Underdiagnosis of Nasoorbitoethmoid Fractures in Patients with Zygoma Injury. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Apr.145(4):1001-1008. Pubmedid: 32221221.
- Basta MN, Kozak GM, Broach RB, Messa CA, Rhemtulla I, DeMatteo RP, Serletti JM, Fischer JP. Can We Predict Incisional Hernia?: Development of a Surgery-specific Decision-Support Interface. Ann Surg. 2019 Sep.270(3):544-553. Pubmedid: 31318790.
- Basta MN, Liu PY, Kwan D, Breuing KH, Sullivan R, Jehle CC, Bass JL, Zienowicz RJ, Schmidt S. Improved Diagnostic Accuracy of Periprosthetic Breast Infection: Novel Application of the Alpha Defensin-1 Biomarker. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 Nov.7(11):e2542. Pubmedid: 31942317. Pmcid: PMC6908363.
- Basta MN, Fiadjoe JE, Woo AS, Peeples KN, Jackson OA. Predicting Adverse Perioperative Events in Patients Undergoing Primary Cleft Palate Repair. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018 Apr.55(4):574-581. Pubmedid: 29554444.
- Basta MN, Mirzabeigi MN, Shubinets V, Kelz RR, Williams NN, Fischer JP. Predicting incisional hernia after bariatric surgery: a risk stratification model based upon 2161 operations. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017 Oct.12(8):1466-1473. Pubmedid: 27425834.
- Krishnan NM, Fischer JP, Basta MN, Nahabedian MY. Reply: Is Single-Stage Prosthetic Reconstruction Cost Effective? A Cost-Utility Analysis for the Use of Direct-to-Implant Breast Reconstruction Relative to Expander-Implant Reconstruction in Postmastectomy Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 May.139(5):1205e-1206e. Pubmedid: 28085718.
- Basta MN, Wu LC, Kanchwala SK, Serletti JM, Tchou JC, Kovach SJ, Fosnot J, Fischer JP. Reliable prediction of postmastectomy lymphedema: The Risk Assessment Tool Evaluating Lymphedema. Am J Surg. 2017 Jun.213(6):1125-1133.e1. Pubmedid: 27745890.
- Tecce MG, Basta MN, Shubinets V, Lanni MA, Mirzabeigi MN, Cooney L, Senapati S, Haggerty AF, Weissler JM, Hernandez JA, Fischer JP. A risk model and cost analysis of post-operative incisional hernia following 2,145 open hysterectomies-Defining indications and opportunities for risk reduction. Am J Surg. 2017 Jun.213(6):1083-1090. Pubmedid: 27769544.
- Silvestre J, Basta MN, Fischer JP, Lowe KM, Mayro R, Jackson O. Minority and Public Insurance Status: Is There a Delay to Alveolar Bone Grafting Surgery?. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017 Jan.54(1):e1-e6. Pubmedid: 26575967.
- Mirzabeigi MN, Fischer JP, Basta MN, Fracol M, Kovach SJ, Wu LC, Serletti JM, Low DW, Kanchwala S. Managing Groin Wounds after Infrainguinal Vascular Procedures: Examining the Reoperative Events and Complication Profile of Muscle Flap Reconstruction. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017 Aug.43:232-241. Pubmedid: 28478163.
- Krishnan NM, Fischer JP, Basta MN, Nahabedian MY. Is Single-Stage Prosthetic Reconstruction Cost Effective? A Cost-Utility Analysis for the Use of Direct-to-Implant Breast Reconstruction Relative to Expander-Implant Reconstruction in Postmastectomy Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Sep.138(3):537-547. Pubmedid: 27556599.
- Yan C, Fischer JP, Freedman GM, Basta MN, Kovach SJ, Serletti JM, Lin L, Wu LC. The Timing of Breast Irradiation in Two-Stage Expander/Implant Breast Reconstruction. Breast J. 2016 May.22(3):322-329. Pubmedid: 26864463.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Mirzabeigi MN, Bauder AR, Fox JP, Drebin JA, Serletti JM, Kovach SJ. A Risk Model and Cost Analysis of Incisional Hernia After Elective, Abdominal Surgery Based Upon 12,373 Cases: The Case for Targeted Prophylactic Intervention. Ann Surg. 2016 May.263(5):1010-1017. Pubmedid: 26465784. Pmcid: PMC4825112.
- Silvestre J, Basta MN, Serletti JM, Chang B. Evaluation of the Plastic Surgery In-Service Training Exam: Lower Extremity Questions. J Surg Educ. 2016 May.72(5):875-881. Pubmedid: 26117077.
- Fracol ME, Basta MN, Nelson JA, Fischer JP, Wu LC, Serletti JM, Fosnot J. Bilateral Free Flap Breast Reconstruction After Unilateral Radiation: Comparing Intraoperative Vascular Complications and Postoperative Outcomes in Radiated Versus Nonradiated Breasts. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Mar.76(3):311-314. Pubmedid: 26545214.
- Basta MN, Fischer JP, Wink JD, Kovach SJ. Mortality after inpatient open ventral hernia repair: developing a risk stratification tool based on 55,760 operations. Am J Surg. 2016 Jun.211(6):1047-1057. Pubmedid: 26975662.
- Gerety PA, Pannucci CJ, Basta MN, Wang AR, Zhang P, Mies C, Kanchwala SK. Lymph node content of supraclavicular and thoracodorsal-based axillary flaps for vascularized lymph node transfer. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2016 Jan.4(1):80-87. Pubmedid: 26946900.
- Basta MN, Fox JP, Kanchwala SK, Wu LC, Serletti JM, Kovach SJ, Fosnot J, Fischer JP. Complicated breast cancer-related lymphedema: evaluating health care resource utilization and associated costs of management. Am J Surg. 2016 Jan.211(1):133-141. Pubmedid: 26421413.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Shubinets V, Serletti JM, Fosnot J. A Systematic Meta-analysis of Prosthetic-Based Breast Reconstruction in Irradiated Fields With or Without Autologous Muscle Flap Coverage. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jan.77(1):129-134. Pubmedid: 25536206.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Krishnan NM, Wink JD, Kovach SJ. A Cost-Utility Assessment of Mesh Selection in Clean-Contaminated Ventral Hernia Repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Feb.137(2):647-659. Pubmedid: 26818303.
- Basta MN, Fiadjoe JE, Peeples KN, Jackson OA. Utility of Tongue Stitch and Nasal Trumpet in the Immediate Postoperative Outcome of Cleft Palatoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Dec.138(6):1080e. Pubmedid: 27541616.
- Basta MN, Bauder AR, Kovach SJ, Fischer JP. Assessing the predictive accuracy of the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Project Surgical Risk Calculator in open ventral hernia repair. Am J Surg. 2016 Aug.212(2):272-281. Pubmedid: 27290635.
- Basta MN, Fischer JP, Kanchwala SK, Fosnot J. Reply: A Propensity-Matched Analysis of the Influence of Breast Reconstruction on Subsequent Development of Lymphedema. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Apr.137(4):750e-751e. Pubmedid: 27018705.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Wink JD, Krishnan NM, Kovach SJ. Cost-utility analysis of the use of prophylactic mesh augmentation compared with primary fascial suture repair in patients at high risk for incisional hernia. Surgery. 2015 Sep.158(3):700-711. Pubmedid: 26189071.
- Basta MN, Mudd PA, Fuller SM, Javia LR, Taylor JA. Total Airway Reconstruction in the Neonate: Combined Mandibular Distraction and Slide Tracheoplasty for Multiple Level Airway Obstruction. J Craniofac Surg. 2015 Nov.26(8):e788-e791. Pubmedid: 26595008.
- Pannucci CJ, Basta MN, Kovach SJ, Kanchwala SK, Wu LC, Serletti JM. Loupes-Only Microsurgery is a Safe Alternative to the Operating Microscope: An Analysis of 1,649 Consecutive Free Flap Breast Reconstructions. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2015 Nov.31(9):636-642. Pubmedid: 26165884.
- Pannucci CJ, Basta MN, Fischer JP, Kovach SJ. Creation and validation of a condition-specific venous thromboembolism risk assessment tool for ventral hernia repair. Surgery. 2015 Nov.158(5):1304-1313. Pubmedid: 25958062.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Mirzabeigi MN, Kovach SJ. A comparison of outcomes and cost in VHWG grade II hernias between Rives-Stoppa synthetic mesh hernia repair versus underlay biologic mesh repair. Hernia. 2015 Jun.18(6):781-789. Pubmedid: 25249250.
- Gerety PA, Basta MN, Fischer JP, Taylor JA. Operative Management of Nonsyndromic Sagittal Synostosis: A Head-to-Head Meta-analysis of Outcomes Comparing 3 Techniques. J Craniofac Surg. 2015 Jun.26(4):1251-1257. Pubmedid: 26080168.
- Yan C, Fischer JP, Wes AM, Basta MN, Rohrbach JI, Kovach SJ, Serletti JM, Wu LC. The cost of major complications associated with immediate two-stage expander/implant-based breast reconstruction. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2015 Jun.49(3):166-171. Pubmedid: 25529100.
- Pannucci CJ, Basta MN, Fischer JF, Kovach SJ. Creation and Validation of a Condition-Specific Venous Thromboembolism Risk Assessment Tool for Open Ventral Hernia Repair Patients. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2015 Jan.3(1):127-128. Pubmedid: 26993718.
- Pannucci C, Gerety PA, Basta MN, Wang AR, Mies C, Zhang P, Kanchwala SK. Vascularized Lymph Node Transfer for Lymphedema: Anatomic Comparison of the Supraclavicular and Thoracodorsal Lymph Node Flaps. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2015 Jan.3(1):124. Pubmedid: 26993710.
- Basta MN, Gerety PA, Serletti JM, Kovach SJ, Fischer JP. A Systematic Review and Head-to-Head Meta-Analysis of Outcomes following Direct-to-Implant versus Conventional Two-Stage Implant Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Dec.136(6):1135-1144. Pubmedid: 26595013.
- Basta MN, Fischer JP, Kanchwala SK, Silvestre J, Wu LC, Serletti JM, Tchou JC, Kovach SJ, Fosnot J. A Propensity-Matched Analysis of the Influence of Breast Reconstruction on Subsequent Development of Lymphedema. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Aug.136(2):134e-143e. Pubmedid: 26218386.
- Basta MN, Fischer JP, Kovach SJ. Assessing complications and cost-utilization in ventral hernia repair utilizing biologic mesh in a bridged underlay technique. Am J Surg. 2015 Apr.209(4):695-702. Pubmedid: 25305799.
- Basta MN, Gao LL, Wu L. Reply: operative treatment of peripheral lymphedema: a systematic meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of lymphovenous microsurgery and tissue transplant. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Sep.134(3):492e-493e. Pubmedid: 25158737.
- Fischer JP, Basta MN, Wink JD, Wes AM, Kovach SJ. Optimizing patient selection in ventral hernia repair with concurrent panniculectomy: an analysis of 1974 patients from the ACS-NSQIP datasets. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2014 Nov.67(11):1532-1540. Pubmedid: 25085825.
- Basta MN, Goldstein JA, Wilson AJ, Taylor JA. A modified V-Y chondromucosal composite flap for correction of secondary cleft nasal deformity: photogrammetric analysis of a case-control study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jul.134(1):94-101. Pubmedid: 25028819.
- Basta MN, Fischer JP, Lotano VE, Kovach SJ. The thoracoplastic approach to chest wall reconstruction: preliminary results of a multidisciplinary approach to minimize morbidity. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Dec.134(6):959e-967e. Pubmedid: 25415119.
- Basta MN, Silvestre J, Stransky C, Solot C, Cohen M, McDonald-McGinn D, Zackai E, Kirschner R, Low DW, Randall P, LaRossa D, Jackson OA. A 35-year experience with syndromic cleft palate repair: operative outcomes and long-term speech function. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Dec.73 Suppl 2:S130-S135. Pubmedid: 25003402.
- Basta MN, Gao LL, Wu LC. Operative treatment of peripheral lymphedema: a systematic meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of lymphovenous microsurgery and tissue transplantation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Apr.133(4):905-913. Pubmedid: 24352208.
- Basta MN, Stricker PA, Taylor JA. A systematic review of the use of antifibrinolytic agents in pediatric surgery and implications for craniofacial use. Pediatr Surg Int. 2012 Nov.28(11):1059-1069. Pubmedid: 22940882.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction4.9
88 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.