Blaise Mooney, MD
Blaise Mooney, MD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Dr. Mooney earned his MD at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine and did his residency at the same. He did his Breast Imaging Fellowship at St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital, Tampa, FL in 2009 and joined the Department of Diagnostic Imaging at Moffitt Cancer Center in January 2010. In 2011 he became the Director of the Breast Imaging Fellowship Program and in the Fall of 2012 Dr. Mooney became the Director of Breast Imaging at Moffitt. He is known as a knowledgeable, fair and dedicated Director as well as an excellent Breast Imaging Radiologist.
Education & Training
- St. Joseph's Women's Hospital - Breast Imaging
- University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine - Diagnostic Radiology
- University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine - MD
- Champion NT, Mooney B, Kim Y, Whiting J, Sun W, Kiluk J, Czerniecki B, Hoover S, Lee MC. ASO Visual Abstract: Surgeon and Radiologist Evaluation of Electromagnetic Chip Localization for Benign and Malignant Breast Lesions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2023 Sep. Pubmedid: 37679539.
- Soliman H, Hogue D, Han H, Mooney B, Costa R, Lee MC, Niell B, Williams A, Chau A, Falcon S, Soyano A, Armaghani A, Khakpour N, Weinfurtner RJ, Hoover S, Kiluk J, Laronga C, Rosa M, Khong H, Czerniecki B. Author Correction: Oncolytic T-VEC virotherapy plus neoadjuvant chemotherapy in nonmetastatic triple-negative breast cancer: a phase 2 trial. Nat Med. 2023 Mar. Pubmedid: 36932246.
- Soliman H, Hogue D, Han H, Mooney B, Costa R, Lee MC, Niell B, Williams A, Chau A, Falcon S, Soyano A, Armaghani A, Khakpour N, Weinfurtner RJ, Hoover S, Kiluk J, Laronga C, Rosa M, Khong H, Czerniecki B. Oncolytic T-VEC virotherapy plus neoadjuvant chemotherapy in nonmetastatic triple-negative breast cancer: a phase 2 trial. Nat Med. 2023 Feb.29(2):450-457. Pubmedid: 36759673.
- Champion NT, Mooney B, Kim Y, Whiting J, Sun W, Kiluk J, Czerniecki B, Hoover S, Lee MC. Surgeon and Radiologist Evaluation of Electromagnetic Chip Localization for Benign and Malignant Breast Lesions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2023 Aug. Pubmedid: 37552349.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Abdalah M, Stringfield O, Ataya D, Williams A, Mooney B, Rosa M, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Czerniecki B, Diaz R, Ahmed K, Washington I, Latifi K, Niell B, Montejo M, Raghunand N. Quantitative Changes in Intratumoral Habitats on MRI Correlate With Pathologic Response in Early-stage ER/PR+ HER2− Breast Cancer Treated With Preoperative Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy. J Breast Imaging. 2022 May.4(3):273-284. Pubmedid: 36686407. Pmcid: PMC9851176.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Raghunand N, Stringfield O, Abdalah M, Niell BL, Ataya D, Williams A, Mooney B, Rosa M, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Czerniecki B, Diaz R, Ahmed K, Washington I, Montejo M. MRI Response to Pre-operative Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy (SABR) in Early Stage ER/PR+ HER2- Breast Cancer correlates with Surgical Pathology Tumor Bed Cellularity. Clin Breast Cancer. 2022 Feb.22(2):e214-e223. Pubmedid: 34384695.
- Soliman H, Hogue D, Han HS, Mooney B, Lima Barros Costa R, Lee MC, Niell B, Williams A, Chau A, Falcon S, Khakpour N, Weinfurtner RJ, Hoover S, Kiluk J, Rosa M, Khong H, Czerniecki BJ. A Phase I Trial of Talimogene Laherparepvec in Combination with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for the Treatment of Nonmetastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2021 Feb.27(4):1012-1018. Pubmedid: 33219014.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Mooney B, Forbus J. Specialized Second Opinion Review of Breast MRI Impacts Management and Increases Cancer Detection. J Am Coll Radiol. 2019 Jul.16(7):922-927. Pubmedid: 30833163.
- Falcon S, Weinfurtner RJ, Mooney B, Niell BL. SAVI SCOUT® localization of breast lesions as a practical alternative to wires: Outcomes and suggestions for trouble-shooting. Clin Imaging. 2019 Jan.52:280-286. Pubmedid: 30193186.
- Li F, Glinskii OV, Mooney BP, Rittenhouse-Olson K, Pienta KJ, Glinsky VV. Cell surface Thomsen-Friedenreich proteome profiling of metastatic prostate cancer cells reveals potential link with cancer stem cell-like phenotype. Oncotarget. 2017 Nov.8(58):98598-98608. Pubmedid: 29228713. Pmcid: PMC5716753.
- Mattingly AE, Mooney B, Lin HY, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Axillary Breast Cancer Metastasis in the Neoadjuvant Setting: A Prospective Study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Jun.17(3):180-187. Pubmedid: 27956116.
- González SJ, Mooney B, Lin HY, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. 2-D and 3-D Ultrasound for Tumor Volume Analysis: A Prospective Study. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017 Apr.43(4):775-781. Pubmedid: 28187928.
- Lee MC, Gonzalez SJ, Lin H, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Mooney B. Prospective trial of breast MRI versus 2D and 3D ultrasound for evaluation of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Sep.22(9):2888-2894. Pubmedid: 25589151.
- Weinfurtner RJ, Patel B, Laronga C, Lee MC, Falcon SL, Mooney BP, Yue B, Drukteinis JS. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided core needle breast biopsies resulting in high-risk histopathologic findings: upstage frequency and lesion characteristics. Clin Breast Cancer. 2015 Jun.15(3):234-239. Pubmedid: 25579460.
- Adams MC, Falcon S, Mooney BP, Laronga C, Chau A, Drukteinis JS. Short-term imaging follow-up of patients with concordant benign breast core needle biopsies: is it really worth it?. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014 Nov.20(6):464-469. Pubmedid: 25205024. Pmcid: PMC4463290.
- Drukteinis JS, Mooney BP, Flowers CI, Gatenby RA. Beyond mammography: new frontiers in breast cancer screening. Am J Med. 2013 Jun.126(6):472-479. Pubmedid: 23561631. Pmcid: PMC4010151.
- Parikh RP, Doren EL, Mooney B, Sun WV, Laronga C, Smith PD. Differentiating fat necrosis from recurrent malignancy in fat-grafted breasts: an imaging classification system to guide management. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Oct.130(4):761-772. Pubmedid: 23018689.
- Flowers CI, Mooney BP, Drukteinis JS. Clinical and imaging surveillance following breast cancer diagnosis. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2012 Jan.59-64. Pubmedid: 24451710.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction0
0 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.