Dr. Zemp received his MD from the University of Alberta in Canada, where he also completed a Urology Residency. Most recently, he completed a Urologic Oncology Fellowship at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Zemp’s clinical focus is management of urologic malignancies including kidney, bladder, prostate, and testis cancer. His research interests focus on improving post-operative surgical care and the patient experience with those who have undergone major abdominal/pelvic operations, specifically radical cystectomy, using patient-reported outcomes and biometric data.
Education & Training
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Genitourinary Oncology
- University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry - Urology
- University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry - MD
- Davaro F, Davaro E, Rose K, Murthy P, Naidu S, Camperlengo L, Grass GD, Vosoughi A, Jain RK, Zemp L, Yu A, Poch MA, Spiess PE, Gilbert SM, Sexton WJ, Li R. Impact of surgical margin and extent of lymphadenectomy on oncologic outcomes in plasmacytoid urothelial carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2023 Sep.41(9):389.e7-389.e13. Pubmedid: 36959058.
- Murthy PB, Naidu S, Davaro F, Spiess PE, Zemp L, Poch M, Jain R, Vosoughi A, Grass GD, Yu A, Sexton WJ, Gilbert SM, Li R. Survival Benefits of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Positive Soft Tissue Surgical Margins Following Radical Cystectomy in Bladder Cancer with Extravesical Extension. Curr Oncol. 2023 Mar.30(3):3223-3231. Pubmedid: 36975458. Pmcid: PMC10046994.
- Abel EJ, Master VA, Spiess PE, Raman JD, Shapiro DD, Sexton WJ, Zemp L, Patil D, Lauer K, Allen GO, Matin SF, Karam JA. The Selection for Cytoreductive Nephrectomy (SCREEN) Score: Improving Surgical Risk Stratification by Integrating Common Radiographic Features. Eur Urol Oncol. 2023 Jul. Pubmedid: 37442673.
- Huelster HL, Zemp L, Turner K, Gonzalez BD, Jim H, Gore LR, Gilbert SM. Mobile Postoperative Symptom Intervention Tool and Biometric Monitoring After Radical Cystectomy: Pilot Study Evaluating Feasibility, Usability, and Potential Utility. J Urol. 2023 Feb.209(2):410-421. Pubmedid: 36350586.
- Shapiro DD, Karam JA, Master VA, Zemp LW, Sexton WJ, Matin SF, Spiess PE, Jason Abel E. Reply to Alireza Ghoreifi and Hooman Djaladat's Letter to the Editor re: Daniel D. Shapiro, Jose A. Karam, Logan Zemp, et al. Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Following Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy Is Safe and Facilitates Treatment-free Intervals. Eur Uro. Eur Urol. 2023 Aug.84(2):e55-e56. Pubmedid: 37149462.
- Shapiro DD, Karam JA, Zemp L, Master VA, Sexton WJ, Ghasemzadeh A, Schmeusser BN, Davaro F, Peak T, Patil D, Matin S, Spiess PE, Abel EJ. Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Following Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy Is Safe and Facilitates Treatment-free Intervals. Eur Urol Open Sci. 2023 Apr.50:43-46. Pubmedid: 36861106. Pmcid: PMC9969293.
- Aydin AM, Cheriyan SK, Reich R, Hajiran A, Peyton CC, Zemp L, Yu A, Li R, Poch MA, Spiess PE, Jain R, Zhang J, Sexton WJ, Gilbert SM. Comparative analysis of three vs. four cycles of neoadjuvant gemcitabine and cisplatin for muscle invasive bladder cancer. Urol Oncol. 2022 Oct.40(10):453.e19-453.e26. Pubmedid: 35811208.
- Hajiran A, Bracco T, Zemp L, Spiess PE. Leveraging innovative therapies with an evolving understanding of the molecular pathogenesis of penile squamous cell carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2022 May.40(5):173-178. Pubmedid: 32690436.
- Chakiryan NH, Hajiran A, Kim Y, Aydin AM, Zemp L, Katende E, Nguyen J, Fan W, Cheng CH, Lopez-Blanco N, Chahoud J, Spiess PE, Fournier M, Dhillon J, Wang L, Moran-Segura C, Mulé J, Du D, Yoder SJ, Berglund A, Teer JK, Manley BJ. Correlating Immune Cell Infiltration Patterns with Recurrent Somatic Mutations in Advanced Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. Eur Urol Focus. 2022 May.8(3):784-793. Pubmedid: 33994165.
- Chakiryan NH, Gore LR, Reich RR, Dunn RL, Jiang DD, Gillis KA, Green E, Hajiran A, Hugar L, Zemp L, Zhang J, Jain RK, Chahoud J, Spiess PE, Manley BJ, Sexton WJ, Hollenbeck BK, Gilbert SM. Survival Outcomes Associated With Cytoreductive Nephrectomy in Patients With Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 May.5(5):e2212347. Pubmedid: 35576003. Pmcid: PMC9112069.
- Chakiryan NH, Jiang DD, Gillis KA, Green E, Hajiran A, Hugar L, Zemp L, Zhang J, Jain R, Chahoud J, Li R, Sexton W, Manley BJ, Gilbert SM. Comparative effectiveness analysis of first-line immunotherapy versus chemotherapy in metastatic urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Urol Oncol. 2022 Mar.40(3):107.e11-107.e17. Pubmedid: 34426068.
- Peak T, Zemp L, Spiess P. Will Dynamic Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Surpass Inguinal Lymph Node Dissection in High-risk Node-negative Penile Cancer?. Eur Urol Oncol. 2022 Dec.5(6):712-713. Pubmedid: 36336613.
- Aydin AM, Reich RR, Cao B, Cheriyan SK, Hajiran A, Zemp L, Yu A, Poch MA, Sexton WJ, Li R, Gilbert SM. Clinical indications for necessary and discretionary hospital readmissions after radical cystectomy. Urol Oncol. 2022 Apr.40(4):164.e1-164.e7. Pubmedid: 34629281. Pmcid: PMC8960322.
- Chakiryan NH, Jiang DD, Gillis KA, Green E, Hajiran A, Hugar L, Zemp L, Zhang J, Jain R, Chahoud J, Poch M, Manley BJ, Li R, Sexton W, Gilbert SM. Pathological Downstaging and Survival Outcomes Associated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Variant Histology Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer. J Urol. 2021 Oct.206(4):924-932. Pubmedid: 34032503.
- Chakiryan NH, Jiang DD, Gillis KA, Green E, Hajiran A, Hugar L, Zemp L, Zhang J, Jain RK, Chahoud J, Spiess PE, Sexton W, Gilbert SM, Manley BJ. Real-World Survival Outcomes Associated With First-Line Immunotherapy, Targeted Therapy, and Combination Therapy for Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 May.4(5):e2111329. Pubmedid: 34032854. Pmcid: PMC8150693.
- Li R, Berglund A, Zemp L, Dhillon J, Putney R, Kim Y, Jain RK, Grass GD, Conejo-Garcia J, Mulé JJ. The 12-CK Score: Global Measurement of Tertiary Lymphoid Structures. Front Immunol. 2021 Jun.12:694079. Pubmedid: 34267760. Pmcid: PMC8276102.
- Chakiryan NH, Kimmel GJ, Kim Y, Johnson JO, Clark N, Hajiran A, Chang A, Aydin AM, Zemp L, Katende E, Chahoud J, Ferrall-Fairbanks MC, Spiess PE, Francis N, Fournier M, Dhillon J, Park JY, Wang L, Mulé JJ, Altrock PM, Manley BJ. Geospatial Cellular Distribution of Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts Significantly Impacts Clinical Outcomes in Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Jul.13(15). Pubmedid: 34359645. Pmcid: PMC8345222.
- Hajiran A, Azizi M, Aydin AM, Zemp L, Peyton CC, Dhillon J, Nealon S, Reich RR, Cao B, Li R, Manley BJ, Sexton WJ, Gilbert SM. Pathological and Survival Outcomes Associated with Variant Histology Bladder Cancers Managed by Cystectomy with or without Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. J Urol. 2021 Jan.205(1):100-108. Pubmedid: 32783489. Pmcid: PMC7864376.
- Hajiran A, Zemp L, Aydin AM, Cheryian SK, Pow-Sang JM, Chahoud J, Spiess PE. Topical chemotherapy for penile carcinoma in situ: Contemporary outcomes and reported toxicity. Urol Oncol. 2021 Jan.39(1):72.e1-72.e5. Pubmedid: 33036902.
- Hajiran A, Azizi M, Aydin AM, Zemp L, Peyton CC, Dhillon J, Nealon S, Reich RR, Cao B, Li R, Manley BJ, Sexton WJ, Gilbert SM. Reply By Authors. J Urol. 2021 Jan.205(1):108. Pubmedid: 33095102.
- Adashek JJ, Zhang Y, Skelton WP, Bilotta A, Chahoud J, Zemp L, Li J, Dhillon J, Manley B, Spiess PE. Dissecting Outcomes: Should Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Be Performed for Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma With Sarcomatoid Dedifferentiation?. Front Oncol. 2021 Feb.10:627025. Pubmedid: 33643921. Pmcid: PMC7902859.
- Chakiryan NH, Kimmel GJ, Kim Y, Hajiran A, Aydin AM, Zemp L, Katende E, Nguyen J, Lopez-Blanco N, Chahoud J, Spiess PE, Fournier M, Dhillon J, Wang L, Moran-Segura C, El-Kenawi A, Mulé J, Altrock PM, Manley BJ. Spatial clustering of CD68+ tumor associated macrophages with tumor cells is associated with worse overall survival in metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. PLoS One. 2021 Apr.16(4):e0245415. Pubmedid: 33882057. Pmcid: PMC8059840.
- Aydin AM, Zemp L, Cheriyan SK, Sexton WJ, Johnstone PAS. Contemporary management of early stage testicular seminoma. Transl Androl Urol. 2020 Jan.9(Suppl 1):S36-S44. Pubmedid: 32055484. Pmcid: PMC6995845.
- Redmond E, Tong S, Zemp L, Hoy N, Rourke KF. Improved artificial urinary sphincter outcomes using a transcorporal cuff placement in patients with a "fragile urethra". Can Urol Assoc J. 2020 Dec.14(12):E621-E624. Pubmedid: 32569562. Pmcid: PMC7704083.
- Mann U, Zemp L, Rourke KF. Contemporary management of renal trauma in Canada: A 10-year experience at a level 1 trauma centre. Can Urol Assoc J. 2019 Jun.13(6):E177-E182. Pubmedid: 30407154. Pmcid: PMC6570592.
- Zemp L, Tong S, Hoy N, Rourke KF. Preoperative pad usage is independently associated with failure of non-adjustable male trans-obturator slings in otherwise well-selected patients. Can Urol Assoc J. 2019 Apr.13(4):120-124. Pubmedid: 30273118. Pmcid: PMC6456352.
- Zemp L, Mann U, Rourke KF. Perinephric Hematoma Size is Independently Associated with the Need for Urological Intervention in Multisystem Blunt Renal Trauma. J Urol. 2018 May.199(5):1283-1288. Pubmedid: 29360530.
- Turner M, Eidemiller S, Martin B, Narver A, Marshall J, Zemp L, Cornell KA, McIntosh JM, McDougal OM. Structural basis for alpha-conotoxin potency and selectivity. Bioorg Med Chem. 2009 Aug.17(16):5894-5899. Pubmedid: 19628399. Pmcid: PMC2754775.
Patient CommentsOverall Satisfaction4.9
239 patients rated this provider
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.