Find a Researcher Search
Jingsong Zhang, MD, PhD
Academic Rank: Assistant Member
- Genitourinary Oncology
- Cancer Imaging and Metabolism
- Cancer Chemoprevention Research Interest Group
- Chemical Biology and Molecular Medicine Program
- Cancer Imaging and Technology
Education & Training
- Peking Union Medical College, MD
- University of Southern California, PhD - Pathology
- New York Downtown Hospital, Intern/Resident - Internal Medicine
- University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Fellow - Hematology-Oncology
Dr. Zhang’s research focuses on 1) defining and characterizing deregulated pathways with therapeutic relevance in subsets of human cancers, and 2) developing and implementing biomarker-driven therapeutics into patient-based therapeutic trials.He aims to identify the DNA damage repair pathways that metastatic prostate cancers rely on and then assess the therapeutic potential of targeting these pathways. Preliminary data indicates that blocking key proteins in DDR pathways with PARP inhibitor, DNA-PK inhibitor or BRCA1 shRNA sensitized metastatic prostate cancer cells to DNA damaging chemotherapy drugs. The synergistic combinations are being tested in metastatic prostate cancer mouse models.Secondly, Dr. Zhang is evaluating r-H2AX as a prognostic or predictive marker.Unrepaired DNA single strand breaks will be converted to double strand breaks (DSB) during DNA replication, and r-H2AX is a well-known marker for DNA DSB. High levels of r-H2AX expression in prostate cancers would correlate with diminished DNA repair pathways and therefore high mutation rates. Dr. Zhang and colleagues will develop a scoring system for r-H2AX expression by immunohistochemistry and correlate that with patients’ clinical outcomes. Based on initial results, the value of r-H2AX can be further evaluated in larger patient cohorts with multi-variant analysis. Assays also can be developed to detect r-H2AX in circulating tumor cells.
- Powles T, O'Donnell PH, Massard C, Arkenau HT, Friedlander TW, Hoimes CJ, Lee JL, Ong M, Sridhar SS, Vogelzang NJ, Fishman MN, Zhang J, Srinivas S, Parikh J, Antal J, Jin X, Gupta AK, Ben Y, Hahn NM. Efficacy and Safety of Durvalumab in Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma: Updated Results From a Phase 1/2 Open-label Study. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Sep;3(9):e172411. Pubmedid: 28817753.
- Teer JK, Zhang Y, Chen L, Welsh EA, Cress WD, Eschrich SA, Berglund AE. Evaluating somatic tumor mutation detection without matched normal samples. Hum Genomics. 2017 Sep;11(1):22. Pubmedid: 28870239. Pmcid: PMC5584341.
- You L, Brown JS, Thuijsman F, Cunningham JJ, Gatenby RA, Zhang J, Staňková K. Spatial vs. non-spatial eco-evolutionary dynamics in a tumor growth model. J Theor Biol. 2017 Sep. Pubmedid: 28870617.
- Leone AR, Zargar-Shoshtari K, Diorio GJ, Sharma P, Boulware D, Gilbert SM, Powsang JM, Zhang J, Sexton WJ, Spiess PE, Poch MA. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Elderly Patients With Bladder Cancer: Oncologic Outcomes From a Single Institution Experience. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Aug;15(4):e583-e589. Pubmedid: 28410909.
- Zargar-Shoshtari K, Kongnyuy M, Sharma P, Fishman MN, Gilbert SM, Poch MA, Pow-Sang JM, Spiess PE, Zhang J, Sexton WJ. Clinical role of additional adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced urothelial carcinoma following neoadjuvant chemotherapy and cystectomy. World J Urol. 2016 Nov;34(11):1567-1573. Pubmedid: 27072536.
- Wu M, Seto E, Zhang J. E2F1 enhances glycolysis through suppressing Sirt6 transcription in cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2015 May;6(13):11252-11263. Pubmedid: 25816777. Pmcid: PMC4484454.
- Wu M, Dickinson SI, Wang X, Zhang J. Expression and function of SIRT6 in muscle invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014 Sep;7(10):6504-6513. Pubmedid: 25400728. Pmcid: PMC4230126.
- Wu M, Wang X, McGregor N, Pienta K, Zhang J. Dynamic regulation of Rad51 by E2F1 and p53 in prostate cancer cells upon drug-induced DNA damage under hypoxia. Mol Pharmacol. 2014 Jun;85(6):866-876. Pubmedid: 24627085. Pmcid: PMC4014666.
- Liu JJ, Zhang J. Sequencing systemic therapies in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Cancer Control. 2013 Jul;20(3):181-187. Pubmedid: 23811702.
- Henderson-Jackson E, Sexton W, Zhang J, Hakam A, Petrovskyy VS, Bui MM, Chuang ST. Cystic prostatic ductal adenocarcinoma: an unusual presentation and cytological diagnosis. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2012 Feb;42(1):81-88. Pubmedid: 22371914.
- Zhang J, Lee J, Urba S, Foster J, Worden F. A phase II trial evaluating weekly docetaxel and capecitabine in patients with metastatic or advanced, locally recurrent head and neck cancers. Cancer Invest. 2010 Nov;28(9):910-916. Pubmedid: 20590443.
- Kang HG, Jenabi JM, Zhang J, Keshelava N, Shimada H, May WA, Ng T, Reynolds CP, Triche TJ, Sorensen PH. E-cadherin cell-cell adhesion in ewing tumor cells mediates suppression of anoikis through activation of the ErbB4 tyrosine kinase. Cancer Res. 2007 Apr;67(7):3094-3105. Pubmedid: 17409416. Pmcid: PMC3906735.
- Hu-Lieskovan S, Zhang J, Wu L, Shimada H, Schofield DE, Triche TJ. EWS-FLI1 fusion protein up-regulates critical genes in neural crest development and is responsible for the observed phenotype of Ewing's family of tumors. Cancer Res. 2005 Jun;65(11):4633-4644. Pubmedid: 15930281.
- Zhang J, Hu S, Schofield DE, Sorensen PH, Triche TJ. Selective usage of D-Type cyclins by Ewing's tumors and rhabdomyosarcomas. Cancer Res. 2004 Sep;64(17):6026-6034. Pubmedid: 15342383.
- Tsao JL, Zhang J, Salovaara R, Li ZH, Järvinen HJ, Mecklin JP, Aaltonen LA, Shibata D. Tracing cell fates in human colorectal tumors from somatic microsatellite mutations: evidence of adenomas with stem cell architecture. Am J Pathol. 1998 Oct;153(4):1189-1200. Pubmedid: 9777950. Pmcid: PMC1853055.
- Zhang J. Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor: an evolving paradigm in the treatment of prostate cancer. Asian J Androl. 16(3):401-406. Pubmedid: 24589464. Pmcid: PMC4023365.